Customer reviews

Journal to the Self
Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 December 2016
A very helpful , well presented book for anyone who is interested in writing or journaling. Lots of different suggestions for ways to get you writing, enables you to pick one, try it out and experiment with what works for you. Very encouraging and friendly tone.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 November 2015
Very good book, helful for many types of possible diaries, journals.
on 30 March 2015
a very useful book
on 10 March 2008
I always thought that writing a journal would be a waste of time, but this book has changed my views completely. The book takes you gently into the wonderful world of journalling and how it can impact your life. The various ways to begin writing a journal; stream of conscious, using spring boards, dialoging, writing lists of 100 etc.

Its amazing and finally very useful to access resources that you never knew you had.

I heartily recommend this book to everyone.
on 2 April 2012
Kathleen Adams has written a superb book about the art of writing and keeping a Journal. I have always kept a Diary and a Journal but had become a bit bored with my own entries...till I read this book. The first chapters were interesting and informative and re-awakened the fact that keeping a Journal is therapeutic, as well as fun and relaxing. But, Section Two, The Journal Toolbox, was particularly interesting to me and a great tool for learning new ways to recall memories, use lists and clustering ideas and "talk" with friends or foes through the art of creative writing. I really enjoyed this book. It's a treasure trove of ideas and I would highly recommend it to anyone who suffers the occasional writers block, or needs to have their creative spirit woken up! It's a great read and a book which you will probably find yourself using over and over...and not collecting cobwebs on a shelf.
on 5 November 2011
I have the author's recent "Scribing the Soul" which I refer to again and again.This was written in 1990 and covers the basics giving would be and experienced journallers a wonderful toolkit.There are examples of real journals which make it interesting.What it does do is give you permission to be yourself,get out of thinking there are rules and best ways to write.
A classic.
on 8 June 2013
This book was easy to read, interesting, and put the ideas (of which there are many in this book) across in a friendly way. You can tell the authour knows her subject, as although this is a relaxed book, she still speaks with an air of authority. Recommended!
on 10 April 2010
I bought this book to delve deeper into journaling. I have been keeping journals for 8 years, so I am certainly not new to it, and have tried many techniques but when I looked at the index it still seemed to offer new tools.

I read it within two days, and now it's all outlined and bookmarked all over the place. It's a great book, which besides delving into psyche of journal keepers, sharing people's experiences, also offers easy to use tools for any kind of journal keepers.

If you have never kept a journal, this will get you started, give you options of what/how you can write, new techniques for you to explore. If you are experienced, you will still find things in here to inspire you.
on 21 June 2017
Recommended reading , and it will help one get rhythm to writing ..with step by step exercise
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 March 2014
I was recommended this book by my councellor. I read enough of it to decide that it was more suitable for those who are not familiar with the process of introspection, internal reflection or 'self analysis'. For those people it may well be a valuable introduction to this aspect of self-awareness but for anyone with experience of these things, l found it a bit basic.