Customer reviews

The Blind Side
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 3 July 2016
This was a good read. I've read it several times in the past, and it is lovely to have a new copy that doesn't fall apart. It's a country-house murder with the variation of being a town-based house which has been turned into apartments. I prefer the familiar Lamb/Abbott detective combo to Benbow Smith, and this was a highly enjoyable story of the traditional Golden Age mystery type, complete with Wentworth's customary romance. Not brilliant, but a creditable performance.
on 12 December 2017
I love these vintage crime stories! I never knew that Patricia Wentworth wrote books that didn’t always star Miss Silver. This is a delightful vintage yarn, with twists and turns. A fun read.
on 29 June 2016
Very enjoyable read - well plotted and entertaining. Having been a fan of Miss Silver for many years, I am delighted to find all these additional 'non-Silver' books she wrote. They will give me many hours of happy reading!
on 6 January 2017
Excellent read, worth keeping to read again in the future.
on 15 September 2016
Enjoyable read, but not one of her best.
on 9 August 2014
Retread after about fifty years not one of her best by a long way, but I find all her books pleasantly nostalgic. I wish one didn't have to have pages describing Miss silver's clothes , furniture and knitting every time, but I suppose it is necessary for new readers.Anyway, I've almost worked through the lot now (I already own a very large number in paper or hardback, and it's been good fun. I do wonder, though, if village life was really like that (murders apart). I was alive throughout the period (I am 93) but lived in towns.
7 people found this helpful
on 3 March 2015
Exactly as described. Very satisfied.
on 8 November 2011
The detectives are Frank Abbott and Ernest Lamb, who later featured as major recurring characters in the Miss Silver series. I believe there are two other books with Abbott and Lamb - Who Pays the Piper and Pursuit of a Parcel. It is interesting to see the characters in the early stages of their careers and development. The plot is a enjoyable whodunnit in a similar style to later Patricia Wentworth books. I would recommend it particularly to Miss Silver fans who will enjoy reading about the early Abbott and Lamb.
12 people found this helpful