VINE VOICEon 15 February 2007
Yes - its better than Mayes. Well I think so anyway!

I've used the book for every assignment in my training and am sure I will continue to dip into the book when qualified. Its clearly written and easy to understand. Broken down into short sections with good headings. Useful diagrams.

There's 7 sections in the book and each section is split into different chapters, each written by a different author.

Section 1 - Midwifery.
Includes; The Midwife, Social Context of Motherhood,Ethics, Evidence based Practice. History and regulation.

Section 2 - Anatomy and Reproduction.
Chapters Include; pelvis, female urinary system, hormonal cycles, fertilisation, placenta, the fetus.

Section 3 - Pregnancy
Chapters Include; Adaptation to pregnancy, parent education, exercises, antenatal care, abnormalities, problems, medical disorders, multiple pregnancies, fetal investigation.

Section 4 - Labour.
Chapters inc; first stage, pain relief, 2nd stage, third stage, uterine action disorders, malposition, operative delivery, obstetric emergencies.

Section 5 - The Puerperium.
Chapters Inc; Physioology, Complications, Psychology, Family Planning, Bereavement.

Section 6 - Newborn Baby.
Chapters Inc; Normal Baby, feeding, low birthweight baby, the ill baby, respiratory problems, Trauma during birth, Abnormalities, Jaundice.

Section 7 - The Context Of Midwifery Practice.
Chapters inc; Pharmacology, complementary therapies, public health services, supervision of midwives, risk management, organisation of health services, international midwifery, vital statistics.
on 16 August 2017
brilliant well used for my course
on 29 March 2017
top book for anybody studying midwifery
on 2 May 2013
An absolute must for midwifery students! I call it my 'Bible' and has helped me through the last 3 years excellently. Highly highly recommended!!
on 19 September 2008
This is an excellent book. If you are about to enter the world of midwifery/are currently studying then this is well worth buying. It is well illustrated and a wealth of information
on 29 September 2000
Excellent layout. clear and concise chapters. Aimed at the non-qualified and supportive in its aim to produce confident academic and practical midwives. A must for the first year student, a bible for the future.
on 3 February 2009
This book has been a life saver! a good buy for anybody training in midwifery, and other health professions
on 31 March 2009
Every new student midwife faces the dilemma of choosing between Mayes and Myles. After careful deliberation and studying both books I picked Myles.

I found the layout very user friendly and there's a udeful colour palette full of photos in the middle.

You'll refer to it continually and it's well worth the money to have your own copy instead of having to borrow the library's copy.
on 7 June 2009
I really like the new edition of the Myles' textbook, it's just a shame I only have 3 months left of my training, however it will continue to be a vaulable source of information for me once I qualify.

Easy to read, and accessible, the graphics are really appealing too. The only downside to the textbook is there are a couple of chapters within the textbook which I would consider first year midwifery students would find difficult to understand. However once theoretical knowledge grows the book is great at getting you thinking and debating about the topics discussed.

I would recommend this textbook to all student midwives and practicing midwives alike!
on 15 May 2006
I bought this book when I commenced my midwifery degree, it has been really helpful and I wish I had bought it before I started. The chapters are clear and easy to read. Some of the words and phrases may be new but get a good midwifery dictionary too and it takes some of the uncertainty away. An excellent book.