on 30 January 2017
I read this book and enjoyed it very much when i was 15. Reading this 30 odd years later ( and over 50 years after publication) I'm less enthusiastic. The book is preachy, what it preaches was perhaps progressive when written, but now reads as sexist, and misogynistic and reactionary.After reading from one of our hero's that women who are raped are basically asking for it, I decided finish there and consign the book to history.
on 9 June 2017
This is a truly great book. I read the abridged version over 30 years and it changed the way I thought. I read the unabridged version for the first time 20 years ago and still loved it. My book club read it recently at my suggestion and I still love this book, the other 5 members did not get past 150 pages. Sure some of the science fiction seems silly now, it is sexist and old fashioned but so are many classics. You have to read to the end and understand the character development and the unfolding philosophy of the book. It is a classic, if you give it a chance.
on 20 May 2017
Probably a bit too high-brow for me. The teleportation was too easy a contrivance. I didn't really connect with the characters. It ambled on a bit with deep discussions between Jubal and Mike that really bored me.
on 10 March 2017
I first found this book thirty years ago and rediscovered it is as brilliant and relevant as it was then, a masterclass of writing and touches on all those human questions that we ultimately all want answers for. Thou art God!
on 9 April 2017
Timeless story that questions society and human nature, undoubtedly shaping history. Well worth a read, as is all of Heinlein's work.
on 29 May 2017
points in the book are laboured and driven home over the course of 3-5 pages, where a couple of paragraphs would do. A number of unlikely events seem to occur and any logic that should apply is ignored. Eventually it was hard to read without becoming frustrated the the characters and the author.
on 21 January 2017
I read this as a kid... and that explains alot!
Reread it just now and what a terrific tale... classic sci-fi, philosophically erudite, sensual, savvy, saucy and really bloody funny... without a doubt one of the best books ever written. A must for any intelligent mind to grok!
on 30 January 2016
brilliant
on 20 December 2014
A wonderfully imaginative and philosophically deep book. Heinlein was a true master, and this is his best work I've read so far.
on 28 June 2017
really insanely good summer read, took two weeks to come but worth the wait.