Customer reviews

on 12 January 2012
In common with many others, I like the Edge books but don't love them. They're not nearly as good as Andrews' Kate Daniels series and there is no doubt that this comparison colours my opinion. That said, the Edge books are easy reading, stand-alone stories and more straight-forward in their "romantic-adventure" nature. If you're looking for that type of book then Fates Edge does the job well; I liked the two main characters Audrey and Kaldar and whilst I would like to have seen the romantic elements play out earlier in the story, the chemistry worked for me. It was nice to see Jack and George again from earlier books, and their story in particular added a darker edge to the book which I liked. For me this is the best of the Edge books - primarily because it was a simpler, more coherent "romantic adventure" story without some of the more complex plots of the previous two.

Andrews' writes in a style which I enjoy and her characters are strong and fun without feeling contrived. You can read this as a stand-alone, but I suspect most readers will be long-time fans hooked in by the Kate Daniels series. Worth reading certainly but it's not something I'll be picking up again and again.
on 7 December 2013
I missed this one first time round and managed to read Book 4 before Book 3, so this filled in a lot of gaps for me. It takes yet another member of the Mar family, Kaldar Mar, conman, thief, trickster and spy and pits him against Audrey Callahan, daughter of a grifter family, magical lock-opener and safecracker without equal. It's a partnership made in heaven, or maybe hell, since they are not on the same side, to begin with, at least.

Mix in some characters from the first and second Edge books and you get Gaston, only ¾ human and after going up against the evil Hand in Book 2, not quite right in the head. George the teenage necromancer and Jack his shapechanging younger brother. It's a hell of a combination for a spy caper as these five try to retrieve something Audrey should never have let her grifter father steal in the first place. Barely one step ahead of the ruthless, bio-engineered agents of the Hand and desperately trying to keep stowaways Jack and George from getting into any more trouble until he can get them back to their sister, Rose, (from Book 1) Kaldar finds himself hopelessly attracted to Auidrey, which puts his mind in his pants instead of in the very dangerous game.

There's a lot of wisecracking backchat between Kaldar and Audrey and ramped up sibling rivalry between George and Jack while the action tears from the Weird (the magical world), the Broken (our world where magic doesn't work) and the Edge, the hard-scrabble, lawless buffer between the two.

Kaldar and Audrey are excellent characters, each with flaws, but both competent and compelling heroes of their own story. Seeing all the other characters who've been lead characters in previous books is a bonus, Rose and Declan from Book 1, and Cerise and William from Book 2. This is a lot of fun. Recommended, but read them in the right order if you can.
on 12 January 2014
And the romance doesn't interfere with the plot. Very little sex, and what there is, isn't too detailed.

Doesn't it make you cringe when graphic squelchy sex is dumped into some sassy action packed UF novel? It just doesn't go! Some genres should stay distinct!

Ok, that was a rant. Perhaps a little OTT, but it seems I feel quite strongly about it.

Anyway, back to this book.

I like the characters, the layered perspectives, the cleanly handled fight scenes, the glimpse into all 3 societies with their perspectives, prejudices and pitfalls. There was some humour that made me smile, and a nicely complex set of ethical dilemmas.

It isn't perfect, but my criticisms (I would have liked more raccoon, more Audrey thievery, and more Weird) are so minor that they are not really worth mentioning.

Looking forward to the next one!
on 24 June 2013
I enjoyed this book, each of the books in this series seem to deal with a different person but it is linked throughout by people from the other books in the series being part of the story in minor ways. The heroine is a healer and this story is seen through eyes, after a sad and hurtful beginning it is the tale of how a person copes with loss and heartache, makes new friends and goes on to make a difference to the people around her. A good read
on 8 February 2013
Don't be expecting a life changing literary experience, but if you want to turn your brain off for a bit and just read something easy then this does the job. I don't find the Edge books anywhere near as engaging as the Kate Daniels series - they feel a lot more like writing by numbers, particularly in this case - but if you're like me, have a small child that never sleeps and need to settle your brain before bed or kill some time at 2am then they're about the right level...
on 12 September 2015
Book 3 of 'The Edge' Series is Kaldor's story. 'The Edge' series has a different main character (couple) for each book but this does not in any way detract from the series and the other characters reappear and develop, which is great. This series just gets better and better and I'd highly recommend you read all 4 books - and I wish there were more :)
on 30 October 2016
LOVE this series. I recommend anything by Ilona Andrews <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
on 6 June 2015
Love this series. Well written, involved and fun. The world of the Edges, the Broken and the Weird really comes to life. Highly recommend series if you like fantasy/sic fi type novels.
on 1 October 2017
See my review of Bayou Moon. Substitute 'Swamp Monster halfbreed' for 'Werewolf'
on 27 September 2014
I've read mixed reviews for these series. They certainly have an unusual format, with every book being kind of a stand alone and featuring a different set of characters. To me the writing is great and I just enjoy the characters too much. I do hope it all ties up in the end as Really hate not getting enough of the previous characters. Book 3 does not disappoint and I shall be starting the 4th soon enough..