Top critical review
2 people found this helpful
Wild West Pilgrims in Space
on 1 March 2009
A readable book, but not a good book. I would classify it a waste of time, as there are simply so many better books around.
- a relatively tantalising backstory and setting idea.
- flat, boring characters. I never felt empathy for any of them, their personalities were erratic and sketchy.
- the tantalising backstory and setting is developed poorly and predictabl.
- the rocket science is iffy, but the social science is worse. The society presented in the book is a cardboard caricature of a frontier Wild West town. The only thing missing are 'injuns', but even those are hinted at (and then promptly ignored by the rest of the plot).
- caricature politics. Good liberalists, rugged individualists, versus first the Fascists and then the Communists. This story has been done. To death. And its not particularly imaginative, either.