Customer reviews

Clean Break
Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 April 2014
I thought this book was fantastic.It gave you a look of what a family`s life is like when a family split up.My parent's are divorced and at first it was pretty hard.
I recommend this book for 8+ because a seven and under would get very emotional,upset and worried.But on the whole it was great and I'm sure everyone will love it just as much as other readers.
The reason I gave it a 4 was because it didn't quite hit the mark for me because the same things kept happening so you knew what was coming next.
By,Finlay aged 10
on 9 July 2017
Bought as a present and the recipient thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 5 July 2017
I love how u can really connect w/ the charactes a must read☺☺ Jaquelin Wilson is a very good writer😁
on 8 October 2017
I am nine years old and though this was a great audiobook.I am hoping for a sequel as I didn't like the open ended conclusion.
on 21 June 2017
A+
I'm a big fan already
on 27 July 2014
I have an 8 yr old daughter and she found it ever so inspiring Jacqueline Wilson has made a big impression on her
on 17 October 2014
I am sooooooo fond of Em. She's super kind and not the slightest bit snobbish! I feel sorry for her when her magical dad leaves them. And I think Julie is weary being a single parent now. I can just imagine her, frown lines on her face, pretty blonde hair all ruffled. It must be super stressful for her.

I found no faults in this book, apart from the ending. I would have said,

We all knew who it was. The most magical person in the world. He'd come back to us, because he loved us. Maybe it was going to be the best Christmas ever.
on 23 March 2017
Good read. My daughter LOVED this book. Well written and great story. Highly recommended to KS2, tween age and even the grown ups love it too
on 22 October 2009
As a teacher in a secondary school, I am always on the lookout for good quality fiction texts for my students. Jacqueline Wilson is a firm favourite with my 11 to 15 year olds and this book will be received by them with enthusiasm as usual.

The author has been extremely clever in not giving specific ages to the three chidren in the family. This means the characters will appeal to 'early teenagers' as well as older primary school students.

The story centres around one family (extended because they live in grandmother's house) whose children and mother have to cope with the father leaving the family. All of the characters - the three children, the mum, the grandmother and the father - have the opportunity to express their feelings and Jacqueline Wilson pulls no punches.

She deals with the issues of loss, anger, confusion, guilt and hope throughout the story. She does not pander to the idea of 'happy ever after' (she is far too good and realistic a writer for that) but she does offer hope to the reader at the end of the novel.

This novel deals seriously with all the issues surrounding the break up of a marriage and she does it in such a way that she makes it absolutely accessible to children. Her use of humour throughout the story is an essential ingredient and one which I have found in all her novels so far!

One of the really pleasant things about this edition is that it has a foreward by Jacqueline Wilson herself, which provides extra, interesting reading.

If you have never read a Jacqueline Wilson book with your children or have yet to buy them one to read on their own, I highly recommend this novel. Enjoy!
on 29 January 2014
Everything was fine until the dad left but when Em starts to get uncomfortable about her weight. Em knows there not going to be a family again but she has a teensy bit of hope left inside of her. When her dad buys her an emerald ring he said it was a real emerald and Em believed him but when she went to a collecters shop to sell it because her family where in desperate need of money. But when they say its a fake she knows it was a lie all along.
I really loved this book it was the most amazing thing i've ever read i would recommend it to everyone between the ages of 8 to 16 you should definetly read it then you'll know what i mean. Iike the saying never judge a book by the cover.

Nawal (11)