Customer reviews

Hugo Pepper (Far-Flung Adventures)
Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 21 April 2007
This is the third book in the "Far Flung Adventures" series by the dynamic duo that gave us "The Edge Chronicles". This adventure series is for younger readers from about eight, and each book includes a fold out map cleverly disguised as a dust jacket.

Although each one can be read on its own, you should still read Far-Flung Adventures: Fergus Crane and Far-Flung Adventures: Corby Flood, because there are sneaky references to these highly imaginative books in Hugo Pepper.

In a nutshell, young Hugo Pepper is rescued from the perils of the Frozen North by a couple of reindeer herders after his parents become the special of the day for a pack of marauding polar bears. Ten years later, he sets off to find his real home, and lands up in Firefly Square, where he meets a cast of eccentric and magical characters, including land-loving mermaids, tea-blenders, moth-eating dogs, and cloud sheep whose wool is in high demand, to say the least. The villains in this book are exceptional also - a snooping, conniving cat lady and an editor with an axe to grind who controls a work force of snow monsters.

Filled with action, adventure, intrigue and even treasure-hunting, this book is another must-read from Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell.

Amanda Richards
VINE VOICEon 1 June 2010
The problem with getting into your forties and beyond is that you inevitably need reading glasses. I managed to lose mine for a whole day this weekend, but luckily I found them this morning - phew! So yesterday I had to read with my old glasses (which are now perfect for computer work, but no good for small type). I had to find something with bigger print to read, hence I picked out this book for children aged around 7+ from my daughter's bookcase.

My daughter and I are big fans of Chris Riddell's Ottoline books. Indeed I'm a fan of Riddell's wonderfully quirky and intricate illustrations in general - he currently does the Literary Review front cover each month, and designed the cover for The Graveyard Book amongst others. He has a very particular style, and his girl faces in particular are fab in an Alice in Wonderland meets Wednesday Addams sort of way with their high foreheads and intelligent stares. So while I was familiar with him, I'd not yet read any of his collaborations with Paul Stewart, of which there are a growing number, including the bestselling Edge Chronicles.

Hugo Pepper is the third in another series called Far Flung Adventures, and it was an absolute delight. The babe in arms Hugo was found in a crashed sledge by snowmen, who then left him on the doorstep of a reindeer herder couple in the Far North, who adopt him and bring him up. Although he loves them dearly, when he's about ten years old, the discovery of his parents' wrecked sled leads him to seek his home. So he sets off on an adventure, eventually arriving in Firefly Square. There he meets a whole group of family friends who are under siege from the new evil editor of the town newspaper which used to be edited by Hugo's grandfather. It is now publishing scurrilous attacks on his friends to drive them out of town...

We meet weird and wonderful characters in this adventure - walking Mermaids, Lighthousekeepers, Pirates, Artisan tea-blenders and carpetweavers, a one-eared cat and lots of big footed snowmen. If you like Lemony Snicket, you'll definitely enjoy this tale and its illustrations; and if I'm honest, I'd love to read the rest of this series and more by this imaginative pair - even with my normal glasses!
on 30 December 2013
The problem with good books is that they are hard to put down. So when you are reading a bedtime story and you agree with your children that you must absolutely read "one last" chapter, bedtime gets pushed back some. Lovely, lovely books. Brilliant, imaginative, suspenseful adventures with great, quirky, well-developed characters and wonderful illustrations! An absolute pleasure to read.
on 4 October 2015
Perfect for my 7 year old grandaughter Holly. Great to read aloud or for her to read herself. The pictures really added to the fun and helped her to visualise all the characters,
on 28 December 2014
Simply fantastic book, for any age. The Far Flung Adventures cannot be beaten, and Hugo is probably the best of the lot.
on 20 August 2016
my son loves these books. beautiful illustrations and fun adventures
on 16 December 2014
Great book of adventures, present for my young passionate reader
on 4 July 2016
Loved reading this to my 8 year old
on 13 July 2015
My son loved this, brilliant!
on 9 January 2016
my granddaughter loved it.