Customer reviews

Clockwork
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 October 2017
Read it as a child, and wanted to reread the book as I remembered enjoying it so much. Haven't finished it yet. However, a great read so far.
on 29 December 2017
My granddaughter love the books
on 12 January 2018
Bought as a present, welcomd by recipient/
on 20 December 2017
Item as described, quick delivery
on 21 January 2000
This is the first book I have read by Philip Pullman but it certainly won't be the last. This is a book which draws you in right from the start and leaves you thinking about it long after you've turned the last page. A mix of science fiction and fantasy which can be enjoyed by children and adults alike.
on 18 November 2017
I bought this for my daughter to get her to read a proper book, rather than just things like The Diary of a Wimpy Tom Gates... not that I have anything against those type of books, but I just feel Philip Pullman is a great author and you can get so much more out of a book like this. She loved it.
on 3 September 2017
Everyone should read this....young and old.
on 16 November 2017
Read this book in primary, absolutely in love with it
on 18 April 2003
'Clockwork' is one of the miniature marvels of modern storytelling, a thrilling tale about good versus evil, kindness versus selfishness and life versus art. The tape, read by Anton Lesser, has just kept my children spellbound in the car for its entire duration.
The great clock of Glockenheim (which really exists)features clockwork figures that come out and move at different times of day or year, and the prospect of a new one by Karl, the clock-maker's apprentice is an event that has people coming from far and wide. On the eve of this great event, a number of people gather in the local inn to hear the latest story by Frtiz, a novelist, who is famed for his hair-raising tales. The one he tells tonight is about their ruler, Prince Otto, who returned from a hunting expedition with his little son Florian, with no heart, only a piece of clockwork that caused him to lash and lash his horses...
Just so, says the narrator, is a story wound up - and this is a tale as finely balanced as a work by the sinister Dr.Kalemenius. How can a little clockwork Prince find a new heart? How can Karl redeem himself from not having fulfilled his contract?
A marvellous, creepy, wise and funny story about a Faustian pact and storytelling itself, it's perfect for children of 7 upwards.
0Comment| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 June 2017
It's been a very long time since I read this book, so forgive me but my memory of the plot details and such are a little vague. Some things stand out vividly in my mind, though, even after nearly 20 years of absence. I remembered the sweet little children in the clock, the heartless coach master flailing the terrified horse, his arm moving with the assistance of a mechanical device in the void in his chest where his heart had been removed. I remember "the heart that is given must also be kept" and I remember that I loved it so much that it began a love affair with Pullmans work that has lasted most of my life. I don't know why it's taken me so long to buy another copy of this, my first true love, but I've ordered myself one and I eagerly await it, because a good plot and a good book are not one in the same.