Customer reviews

Cloud Busting
Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 March 2006
Bought by my youngest son because it had a cool cover! What a choice! Starting reading this book with my two boys one evening and once we got started we just could not put it down! We ended up reading it in one sitting which ended up being a very late school night, but boy was it worth it! The use of short sentences and different types of poetry throughout helped hold our attention. However it was the magical use of language and the clever way the story was put together that held our interest. Many twists and turns throughout, we never knew excactly where it was all leading to, again a great skill the author obviously has, which helps hold childrens attention - not always an easy task when it comes to kids reading! However as well as being a great read and story line, what really made it such a special book for me was the huge amount of life's lessons that were contained throughout, that were dropped in in such an interesting and thought provoking way. Such issues as not being afarid to be different from the crowd, being able to stop and appreciate the many wonderful things that surround us all every day of our lives, to issues of bullying and how those involved in bullying may actually be thinking about themselves or to how our actions and attitudes to others can have a profound affect on those who we come in contact with and on and on!
I cannot recommend this book too highly to young kids particularly when read and discussed with a parent or guardian. As mentioned in my title, i feel this book should become recommended class reading for Primary schools everywhere, its that good. I cannot wait to read other books by Malorie Blackman if they are half as good as Cloudbusting.
on 7 June 2017
A review from Laith in Year 6

I really like this book. It is about a boy called Sam that bullies a boy called Dave. Dave is kind to Sam and saves his life. After this, they become friends and they do everything together. Sam betrays Dave a couple of times and apologises for it. Other people would like this book because it could change your mind about being a bully.
on 9 May 2017
When I read this book it was full of adventure and mystery between an unfriendly boy and a kind, open minded boy. This book was easy to read because most chapters were short and not challenging enough. I didn't like it that much because it is not my kind of book to read. I did like the characters because they were all had different personality which made the book better.
on 9 July 2017
I realy enjoyed the story line of this book . At first it was a bit hard to get into because of the poety but you soon fogot it was poems and i got absorbed in the book . This book is better when it is read out loud because you get the feel of the poems as well as th boom.. I am not a poetry fan buthis book got me intrested in it. I would recomend this book to children and adults . If you do not like poetry give a go because you might be surprised.
on 17 April 2016
A really good way for younger teens to explore social issues at school and become familiar with zzz poetry too.
on 14 May 2017
It was mostly written in a poem style. It wasn't my type of book. If you enjoy poems, this book is for you.

Review written by Samuel P (8yo)
on 16 September 2008
`Cloud Busting' is an original and multi-faceted book that can be used to stimulate activities in so many different fields. The story sees a young boy called Sam reflecting upon a friendship that never was, with Davey, a unique and imaginative boy that was the target for class bullies. As the story progresses, the reader soon realises that Sam was actually the class bully and was a key person to push Davey away. In ode of their awkward and somewhat tragic friendship, Sam uses a poetry activity set in class to express his feelings, exploring all sorts of poetry techniques.

This book has many layers in which is can be approached and for this reason can be appreciated by a wide age range of readers. Brilliantly written, it serves as an inspiration to budding writers, but is equally invaluable for tackling school matters such as bullying and health and safety. The essence of the book could be adapted for a music lesson (rhythm and rap), art (Cloudbusting activities), PSHE (discussing bullying and health and safety), Literacy (poetry analysis), literature circles (discussion of character motives) and drama (replicating the book). In all, this book stores great potential for getting children involved in fun activities that link to the National Curriculum.
on 1 September 2008
What a fantastic book! I picked this book out of a list recommended authors provided for my teacher training, having not read any of Blackmans other work I was not expecting such an amazing read, the moment I started I could not put this book down. An excellent tale of friendship, life, change and loss. A must read for all childrenCloud Busting 10/10
on 22 September 2004
I read this because I love Malorie's books so much. And I was very surprised but not at all disappointed by this book. It's definitely a cool read for a younger age than her Noughts and Crosses books. It tells the story of Sam (the class bully) and Davey (his victim) who slowly become friends when Davey saves Sam's life. Davey shows Sam a different way of looking at the world but then something terrible happens (I'm not going to say what, 'cause I hate it when people tell me the endings of things). But what I will say is that each chapter of this book is told in a different type of verse. And very few of the chapters rhyme - but it doesn't matter because the way it's told goes with the story somehow and made me read it from start to finish in one go. I must say, Malorie Blackman is probably the most original and interesting author around at the moment. All her books are different, not like some other authors I've read who bring out the same book time after time, just changing the character names and the covers.
I hope she never stops writing.
on 25 December 2014
Read to my Year 6 class during anti-bullying week - fantastic story, which raised many issues for in-depth discussion. Beautifully written, each chapter in a different style of poetry so that children were inspired to write their own poems, in a range of forms. A month on, they are still referring to the book, using dilemmas and solutions discussed at the time to help resolve fallings out in the class. Highly recommended alongside 'Boy in the Girls' Bathroom' and 'Hangman'.