Customer reviews

on 7 April 2006
Well I annoyed my husband no end by chuckling constantly throughout reading this book. I feel like I know all of Ralph's relations personally through Anne Fines efortlessly 'very true' writing. Ralph's extended family portrait is not pretty but absolutely hilarious; with backbiting, scheming, seething resentment, exhaustion and all the general selfish, take family for granted kind of things that happen... I think I might go on holiday myself next Christmas!
on 4 February 2009
As a family we first listened to this on CD on a long car journey and we laughed out loud from us 40 somethings to our children ranging from 16 to 10 at the time. My ten year old wanted it for Christmas to recapture the humour and she read it with obvious enjoyment. For anyone who has wondered about the sanity of large family get togethers at Christmas...
on 4 July 2010
The audio CD with Julian Rind-Tutt has transformed long car journeys into a joy. As a mum of 3, the chapter titled 'Sorry' literally brought tears of recognition to my eyes. Our family has adopted several catchphrases from this book: "I think I've done my fair whack" being the classic.
on 17 October 2011
I have bought this book at least three times and liked to give it to my friends for reading it before Christmas. I never got back one (I will have to buy another one for me this year), they all was excited about it, because it shows very with a great insight (which is typical for Anne Fine) the problems between relatives, especially on christmas, when they are crowned together. All this is told from the younger boy of the family, Ralph William in such a funny and lovely style of sharing his thoughts and "his side of the story".
It's too bad, that this book hasn't translated yet, I 'd love to recommend it far more people who won't get the trouble of reading it in english.
on 5 December 2003
I found that this audio CD was a great christmas present as it was a story about the horrors of christmas and it helped me hide away from the dreaded relatives at christmas time dissolved in this wonderful novel.
on 4 March 2008
By Alex aged 10

This was an extremely funny book. Anne Fine must have been involved in a similar family gathering herself. She draws the characters brilliantly - and they literally walk of the page whilst making you scream with laughter. One of the funniest episodes was the quiz on the family visit, as nearly every character asked a question which caused great upset to another member of the family. In fact, it was the quiz that uncovered Ralph's unfortunate loss of his aunt's pearl earrings. The combination of the different members of the family's antics is hilarious - we have Titania's constant annoying dancing and singing, Aunt Ida's visions, the twins destructive behaviour, Great-Granny's love of administering pain to all and sundry, Uncle Tristram's practical jokes and Mum's exasperated attempts to control them all.

The More the Merrier is totally different for the books that I would normally read, but I enjoyed the humour in it immensely and would definitely look for this type of book again.
on 26 June 2013
I enjoyed this book because it had a lot of really funny bits.
I would recommend this book for 9-14 because it would suit a lot of people.
I would definitely recommend reading any other anne fine books because they are all brilliant.
on 12 February 2015
Very funny book, good reading at any age!
on 17 December 2014
A great pre-Christmas read.
on 25 March 2008
Anne Fine is a children's laureate. She is the famous author of The Diary of a Killer Cat, Loudmouth Lois, A Puff of Glittering Smoke and others. This book is about Christmas! It is about how Ralph's house is not big enough to fit all of the guests in. Find out how he manages to (just about) cope with all this festive mayhem and seasonal madness - it is a real problem! Will it be merrier with more and more and more coming in? Find out in this book...
This book is quite good although many parts are boring and some parts are just thrilling. I think that Anne Fine's quality of writing has just gone down and would rate this book 7.5/ 10. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes a witty diary sort of story.