on 28 June 2016
My daughter loves Tracy Beaker so bought her the book to read.
She is 9years old & can read the book with ease, shes not top reading group at achool either.
She currently is the book to my partner & i daily & doing well with it.
Fast delivery.
on 2 August 2004
Our adopted daughter, aged 8, loves this audiotape. The story is good, and very convincing. It's like a play (not a book being read). All the voices are very well "acted", and Tracy is a totally real girl seeking a new family but at heart wanting to go back to her birth mother who she knows does not want her and is no good for her so she had better find a new family (the conflict is just so for our daughter).
In the story Tracy's adopting parent, Cam, appears, as does her birth mother. The contrast is tangible. Tracy makes friends with other disadvantaged children, but the occasional cruelty between them is very real.
Get this and you'll know what life feels like on the outside of a stable family. Oh and it's also very funny in parts.
on 1 February 2015
I didn't like this book because of the inappropriate language they have due to the insulting e.g.Justine - pain-in -the-bum and more things. But thanks for your book Jacqueline Willson.
on 19 January 2000
I chose this book of Tracy Beaker as my favourite Millennuim story as the character Tracy made me laugh and smile and made me realise how lucky I am to live in a nice house with my mum and my dad brothers. I read this book when I was 7 my mum read it first when I was 6.
The story is all about a girl called Tracy being sent to live in an orphange because her mum's boyfriend doesn't like her. Lots of people adopt her but they don't keep her because she is vicious and rude. Tracy tells funny stories and jokes about the people that adopled her and she told a story about a family that smacked her every time she told a lie. The story also made me feel sorry for Tracy.
on 26 December 2010
i really liked this book its very good to read and i really enjoyed it well i like everything about tracy beaker.
on 30 April 2001
The story of Tracy Beaker is about a girl that was taken away from her mother, because her mum had a monster gorilla boyfriend and Tracy hated him. The boy friend beat Tracy up. They took her into care. Ever since Tracy has been hoping for her Mum to come and get her from the childrens home. Maybe she will find someone to look after her or maybe she won't. No! I'm not going to tell you what happens. This book really touched my heart, and it makes me think of children who are like that and have no home to go to. Go on give this book a go. Maybe say a little prayer for the people like our famous little character Tracy Beaker.
on 2 April 2008
The story plot of the book
This book is like a fictional diary and a girl, aged 10, in a foster care home, is writing in it. Follow Tracy as she writes about her life in the Dumping Ground with friends and enemies...

About the author of the book
Jacqueline Wilson is one of my favourite authors and she wrote this book! She has her own personal collection of over 15,000 books and I have about a thirtieth of that!

About the awards and sequel for the book
In 2002 this book was voted the winner of the Blue Peter People's Choice Award. The book is the first in a series of books about Tracy Beaker. The second is the `Dare Game' and there is another book called `Staring Tracy Beaker'.

My awards for the book
I would rate this brilliant book 10/ 10; I really, really enjoyed this book, to prove that I really, really enjoyed this book I couldn't put it down until the very end! I would recommend it to anyone who really likes Jacqueline Wilson's books - just like me, especially girls.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 25 December 2011
Jacqueline Wilson is one of the most prolific and successful children's writers ever. She has done an enormous amount, and still does, to write books which engage children, talk to them about the experiences of their lives, and which do not shy away from difficult topics or patronise her readership. She is a champion of children's literature, for which I will be forever grateful. Both my girls read and re-read her books. I decided to give some of her books a whirl as the bits I have read to the girls I have found totally unappealing, but thought I was being rather unfair. I started with this, the classic Wilson. The problem I have with this book is that I am far too old to find it entertaining in any way, or to find Tracy anything other than annoying. To give credit where credit is due, Wilson writes about Tracy with sensitivity and a fine ability to make her interesting for children to read about, but also a complex, human figure. I can see why the books are so successful, but I really don't like them myself, which is probably just as well.
on 23 June 2014
My daughters review:

I loved Jacqueline Wilson growing up, she was my idol. I had all of her books at the time, this one included. And whilst awaiting for my new books to arrive I decided to re-read my old collection and this beautiful book popped up. I managed to read it in the garden within an hour and a half, and I loved every minute of it!

Tracy Beaker is a girl who lives in a care home. She hates it there, everything about it! The people, the caseworkers, the food, the rules and how she can't have her 'famous' mother visiting her. After an assignment is set by the social worker, Tracy and her other peers are forced to write a story about their life, which is this book. Tracy takes you on an amazing heart felt feeling story about how she ended up in care and where she is today. She finds herself falling in love with being an author, so when an actual author comes along and offers to take her out, Tracy can only think of two things: getting famous or getting fostered.

The book has always been a book that I have adored. Tracy Beaker is a bold character who you can grasp two opinions of. You either hate her for being so hateful and loud or you love her and think she is misunderstood. It's a very simple story and although I am not the target audience anymore (I'm sixteen now!), I still loved reading this book and delving deep into Tracy's thoughts. The structure of it is a full flowing present tense story. There are no chapters, so it almost can be referred to as: a conscious stream of thought, a technique Jacqueline Wilson has used so nobody puts the book down or a simple book.

The plot is thick and good. Very real. Not a lot of books have that, especially when you are younger. I find that there are subtle hints of drama in this book, but it's not bombarded with it, despite their being so much drama. You have a chance to process what you've just read and move on.

I think any young readers would enjoy this, or even older readers who want a light read. Jacqueline has done it again! A fabulous story!
on 19 August 2015
I re-read this story in the garden as soon as my last exam was over, and it took me an hour and a half to complete it. Jacqueline Wilson was my idol growing up, I adored her writing and her! And Tracy Beaker is her famous character creation that she has spurred onto the world. So it was interesting re-reading an old tale that I loved so much.

Tracy Beaker lives in a foster home. She hates it there and often dreams of her 'famous' mother coming along and whisking her away to a better place. She hates the carers, the people, the rules and most of all Justine Littlewood, who stole Tracy's best friend. Fuelled with hate and vengeance for her mum not looking after her and hating being stuck in care, Tracy often acts out and is the 'bad child' of the home. After an assignment is set by the social worker, Tracy starts to write her life story in this small book, where she begins to tell a new tale of her on the conquest to find a foster family. She soon begins to realise that she would adore being a writer, her creativeness would thrive in this position, and with her constant habit of telling lies, Tracy would spur amazing stories. So, when she is offered the chance to meet a real writer, Cam - Tracy is in love and has only two thing on her mind: getting famous or getting fostered.

Tracy Beaker is one of the most popular characters that Jacqueline has created and she has created her perfectly. Every other main character in most authors books when I was growing up, may not be 'pretty' but they were good and they would often show how good they were through bravery or some nobel conquest being completed. Tracy is different. She's feisty and fiery. She is a strong character and is very bold. You can either love her and see that she is misunderstood or hate her and say that she is a cheeky little devil who shouldn't be the idol of so many young children. It's your choice.

Jacqueline has used the format of present tense for this novel, so Tracy can be in touch with her feelings. It's easier for younger readers to clasp onto the emotions of Tracy Beaker and understand what she is going through and you almost go through it with her. You begin to apply feelings of empathy and soon you are connected with her on a very personal level. The plot is also good. It's not bombarded with drama however there are subtle hints of drama throughout, and because it's told as Tracy telling the reader, it's quick and witty so you can process the information and still remember it, instead of everything just being chucked at you.

Although there were no chapters in this book, I found this a great thing. Normally, I hate books that don't have chapters or sectioned pieces where you can stop reading, because I hate stopping in the middle of a chapter. However, because I read this in one sitting, I can see that the chapters would be unnecessary anyway as the book is: A) set out as a child's book, so why would there be chapters? and B) The pace of the book is slow and steady so you can stop at any point if you wanted to. Not that you would want to! I found this book hard to put down. When I was getting to the end I was shocked and surprised by how much I had read.

A really good book, and although I am not the target audience, I was still able to enjoy this book.