on 22 August 2017
Great book
on 26 June 2012
I'm afraid I bought this purely on the strength of the excellent reviews, but it wasn't for me. It's very clearly a childrens book with a very basic story line which unfortunately just didn't grab me at all. If I had kids I'd be more than happy to see them reading this...but it lacked any sort of depth and just wasn't for me.
on 23 August 1998
This book is so wonderful. I read it the first time when I was in second grade and have read it over ten times since then!(I am now entering the seventh grade.) It's a very heartwarming tale about a boy who's only dream is to have two coon hounds, and the hardships that he and the dogs encounter when he finally gets them. Every time that I read it, I cry so hard at the end! I recommend it to ANYBODY who wants a fabulous book to read endless times.
on 5 March 1999
A great book is Where the Red Fern Grows, by Wilson Rawls. It is a wonderful tale of a poor country boy who would do anything for a pair of hounds. Once he gets his dogs, the world is theirs to explore. From playing fetch to winning a raccoon hunt, these three share it all, even a courageous ending.
I thought this book was really good because I could relate to the characters, especially Billy because I always wanted a dog. Like him, I had my mind set on a dog, and wouldn't quit trying until I got one.
Page after page there are lessons to be learned, and a theme to go with each one. The five important themes I got out of it were: friends, responsibility, companionship, life, and family.
Wilson Rawls wrote what every reader wanted to read. The book couldn't have been written any better. He used specific details, and gave a good feeling of what growing up in the Ozarks would have been like. It portrays the happiness and hardships that life brings.
Young males and grown men would especially like this book because they can relate to Billy and his spirit of determination. This book is a great book and everybody should have the chance to read it.
on 9 May 2000
This heartwarming tale is my favorite book. Where the Red Fern grows is about a young boy named Billy Coleman who saves up his money for two years to buy the two Redbone Coonhounds that he saw advertised. From then on, adventures explode infront of him and his two dogs, Old Dan and Little Ann. How will he train them? Will he catch the Ghost coon? Can he win the hunting championship? Throughout all of their adventures, the trio becomes a loving, devoted, inseperable team. But Billy doesn't realize their uttermost devotion until one night while hunting, they tree a mountain lion by mistake, and Old Dan and Little Ann save him, Old Dan fighting with the most loyalty and rage. But in the end, Old Dan's sacrifice turned out to be too great, and he died. Little Ann is still with the Coleman family until after Old Dan died. Ann was Dan's lifelong compainion, and she couldn't bear without him. So sadly two days later, she dies from lonliness and heartbreak. After that Billy finds out that he is moving next spring, so he tries and tries to forget his dogs but is still plaiged with pain. Yet on moving day in the spring, he discovered that on the hillside where his two dogs are buried side by side, a beautiful and stunning red fern had grown between their bodies. The red fern comes from an old indian legend, and it is the strogest sign of love. Only an angel can plant one, it never dies, and where one is, that spot is sacred. After moving, the story ends with one final segment, which I think is the part where I start sobbing. This is an elaborately detailed book, and doesn't just jump from one thing to another. It is well in order. Also, this book is the kind of book that you can read more than 1 times, for me, it would be more than 30 times! This book also makes me cry every single time. :)
on 26 September 2013
I have to agree strongly with the minority here and, as a parent, wish I'd read their reviews properly before buying, rather than getting swayed by the majority. Whilst 'Red Fern'is indeed an atmospheric adventure, it is really very traumatic in a number places and I would NOT recommend it for younger readers (under 10s?) or sensitive souls. Need more information? It includes graphic details of a child's accidental death...as well as those of the two dogs. I'm all for children understanding about life & loss, but the details are too shocking, gory and haunting for a young person (eg my free-reading 8 yr old) and out-balance the culture or adventure in the book. No, definitely not recommended.
on 10 July 2012
The book cover is misleading, it looks like a good story for young children but it isn't, it's about two hunting dogs, talk of ripping coons apart and entrails coming out, not good.Think of Watership down, and then some.

Apart from that I don't know why the book gets so many good reviews, it has a few sweet moments but mainly it is very repetitive, how many times can you read about two dogs hunting for coons and still be interested. The ending is very rushed as well, the last chapter was clearly just stuck on to bring the book to a close.

I read this on the Kindle edition and after the halfway point there were umteen typos, some of the worst I have seen in a Kindle ebook.
on 11 February 2006
18 years ago my school had all of us kids read this book. Now, at 30 years old, I just had to have it again because I never forgot the book. It is a well-written classic, one every child and adult must read at least once. It brings back the spirit of youth, something which seems to have now been lost. Fantastic.
on 24 March 1999
I read the book Where The Red Fern Grows.It was book that was very well written.I think that Wilson Rawls was so in touch with his book.It is so life like and feels so real. I would and do recomend this book to all my friends.
on 11 November 1998
I recommend this book to a kid in 5th or 6th grade that wants a dog. That is why I like this book. Some good things that I like were when he went to town to get a dog. He was going to buy a small beagle, but these kids bought him before he got to it. This book is about a boy that wants a coon dog. The exciting part of this book was when he tried to tree the ghost coon, he's the oldest coon.
He got his own side of his dad's shed wall. By the he competed, he had the whole wall full of coon skins. I really enjoyed this book.