Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Morrissey Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

on 8 July 2017
The use of the names of two critical theorists is corny, and the American idioms are annoying. There is a silly subplot about a sceptre, a gift for the coronation of Selim III, which might be stolen by Napoleon's spies and replaced by one packed with explosives. Why the British authorities would be concerned, I can't think. All they would need to do would be to not give that gift.
on 22 June 2014
Really sorry but this story took quite along time to go no where. Really let down as other books were great.
on 15 January 2015
I have read and enjoyed all of Eloisa James' books as she is my favourite author if historical romance . This one I left unread as I had read a review that mentioned -spoiler alert- that the h and h had a stillborn baby something that happened to me. I finally felt able to read the story and I'm so glad I did. The romance was the usual James blend of witty dialogue, fascinating characters,delicious hero and misunderstandings galore. The loss of the child was dealt with so sensitively and the description of the misplaced guilt, devastation but fierce desire for another child was so accurately conveyed that I wept buckets.
on 11 May 2017
It was very readable book my only observation is it was very similar to potent pleasure.
on 27 July 2003
I picked this book up on the off-chance, when browsing for something to read over the weekend - I didn't expect much, just something to hold my interest.
Well, this book did that and more.
Sophie's parents are estranged, mostly due to the fact that her father is a philanderer, and is not discreet about it. Sophie is determined never to marry for love, as she has seen how it hurts when it is not reciprocated - to that end, she refuses the charming rake, Patrick, and accepts his friend Braddon, who is dull & whom she is certain she will not come to love.
However, things go awry, and she ends up married to Patrick.
The story of how these two passionate people come to terms with their pasts and build a strong, loving relationship is touching, realistic and a pleasure to read about.
I read a lot of romances (about 7 a week!) and am hard to please - so many are poorly researched (when will editors cop on that the English have Autumn, not fall, streets, not blocks, and do not have closets??) the characters are 2 dimensional and you forget them two days after you finish the book, and often the plots are just plain ridiculous.
However, this book actually made me cry (very, very rare - I'm just too hard-hearted!) and I got a warm fuzzy feeling when it ended.
A superb book, and I've got the next on my shelf at the moment - I hope it's just as good, although I am a little bit nervous - Midnight Pleasures is a tough act to follow!
on 9 February 2009
this book is REALLY good.
The characters are good - and real - and you will care about them...
and its a romance with a difference at the end... very sad - but really real life.
i like romance books - esp if they are set in the past - and this one is lush with lovely dresses and huge balls!
on 3 June 2014
If you have not read any of Eloisa James books and you enjoy historical romance novels... You need to read this collection!
on 30 January 2013
Have read a lot of Eloisa James' books and love her - definitely worth a read - as are her other books.
on 9 June 2010
I bought this book in a Charity Shop and decided to give Eloisa James a try not having read any of her novels before although I have sold quite a few. I just loved it and could not put it down certainly it will be going on mykeeper shelf. I have managed to obtain Enhanting Pleasures which I am also enjoying very much.
on 18 August 2005
I've read a lot or romances, and this is one of the best I've ever read. The characteras are both brilliantly portrayed. Normally I'm not very interested in the guy, but with this one I wanted to jump into the book and grab him for myself! For a decent romance you have to have goo dchemistry, and boy did they have that. Everything about this book was fantastic, and I would recommend it to any romance reader.