Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 17 November 2009
I really enjoyed reading this book, I found it both touching and enlightening. It gave me great insight into the experience of the Danes during Nazi occupation, particularly how brave they were as a nation which led to them saving thousands of jewish lives. A must read for children and adults alike.
'Number The Stars' is aimed at readers aged 8 to 12 years, although a children's book, it is still a very enjoyable read.

Annemarie's life in Nazi occupied Copenhagen has been fun but is becoming very complicated. The story is written as Annemarie sees things - it is a simple, yet very effective story of how the Danish Resistance managed to smuggle amongst all the Jewish population across to Sweden.

The plot is absorbing and there is a definate sense of the pride of the Danes even whilst their small country is being terrorised by the Nazis.

The story of the strong and deep friendship between Annemarie and Ellen is the backbone of the book.
on 6 November 2002
I found this book truly moving and have read it again and again as a child and an adult. Lowry deals with the subject of bravery at different levels in a way that is easy to grasp and her characters are easy to identify with giving the book more depth. She deals with a very serious subject without being melodramatic and writes a fantastic explanation at the end of the book explaining how much is fact and how much is fiction.
on 12 May 2015
A lovely book set in Denmark before the 2nd world war. It centred on two families, one Jewish, one Dane. It is narrated by one of the female children. She talks about their growing up before the war and subsequently, during the war. The plight of the Jews and their escape to Sweden is central to the book. I enjoyed the book, the story and the characters.
on 13 June 2014
I bought 'Number the Stars' after I read 'The Giver'. I enjoyed 'Number the Stars', it was a interesting read and it shows the strength that people find when face with the unimaginable.

Annemarie and Marie's friendship is the most important of the story as they live with war while their parents protect them as best they can.

A well written story, interesting and memorable.
on 11 June 2012
The title isn't much help in defining the story. I bought this on spec, for my 14 years old granddaughter, who has a Danish mother. I though as it was set I Denmark they both would be interested. As yet neither have read it, but I have and thoroughly enjoyed it, as it tells the story of the 1939-1945 war years and how a Jewish family were saved from the occupying Nazis. A gentle introduction to the regime of racial purity.
on 6 January 2015
The main themes of this book are: the 2nd World War, courage, danger and love.
The main characters are Annemarie Johansen and her best friend Ellen Rosen, who is Jewish. They're both 10 years old.
This story takes place in Copenhagen in 1943 when the 2nd World War is starting and the Jewish are being relocated.

The story is about how Annemarie needs to be courageous to help Ellen and her family to escape and be safe.
Will they survive?
Will they return to a normal life?

My favorite part was when Annemarie ran in the dark forest to bring her Uncle a very important package and risked her life to save some Jewish families and her best friend's family.
I learned that even risking our life for people is much better than letting people die and doing nothing about it.
My opinion is that this book is fantastic, realistic and exciting.
I highly recommend it.
on 1 January 2015
I love this book because Annemarie shows lots of bravery and the story is a bit secret because the family of Annemarie's best friend are jewish. The main characters are: Annemarie, Ellen, Kirstie, Peter and Lise.The story takes place in Copenhagen (in Denmark) during the 2nd world war. The nazis are searching for all the jews. One day, Annemarie,her sister Kirstie and Ellen were walking back home, they were charged to pass by the shop to buy some buttons for Kirstie, but the shop was closed. Annemarie saw a nazi sign. They came back home and told their mother what happened. Mrs Johansen said that Mrs Hirch and her family had been taken by the nazis because they were jewish.The life of Ellen and her family was in danger. What I learn from this book is that people who are different should not be persecuted. My favorite part is when they pretend that there has been a death.
on 29 December 2014
Emma-Lyle Dampoux, Our School, CM2
I love this book because it's interesting and it's about secrets. At the beginning it is a little hard to understand, but then it gets easier. The people in the book did the right thing. The book is about a family and their two little girls Annemarie and Kirsti and about how they helped their Jewish friends and their daughter Ellen escape during Danemark during WWII. Annemarie was courageous, tall and thin and Ellen was stocky and very nice. They were best friends. Kirsti was funny and not afraid of the German soldiers. The main themes of the book are about courage and helping other poeple. I learned about the Resistance and a lot about how it was during the war. My favourite part was the end, but I cannot tell you...
on 14 May 2014
This is a great introduction to nazi occupations,deportation of Jewish people during the war, for children as young as eight. It does not delve into the true horrors it the holocaust but is a good starting block for setting the tone for further investigation.
It is quite short and I read it in an evening on the kindle.