on 31 July 2005
This book was originally published as part of the Dear America series of historical diaries. This edition of the book has been published as a part of the My Story series, which also consists of fictional historical diaries.
Thirteen-year-old Margaret Ann Brady lives at an orphanage in London. Her parents have died, and she longs to join her older brother, who has immigrated to Boston, in America. Margaret gets what she thinks is the opportunity of a lifetime: a job as the companion of Mrs. Carstairs, a wealthy American woman traveling home on the Titanic. All Margaret has to do is keep Mrs. Carstairs company on the voyage, and she will get free passage to America where she can join her brother. And she will get the chance to travel on the grandest ship ever built. Margaret describes in her diary the luxuries of first class through the eyes of a child who has lived her life in poverty, her adventures on the ship, and the tragedy that occurs when the Titanic hits an iceberg and sinks.
Young readers who enjoy diary historical fiction, or who are fascinated by the story of the Titanic, are sure to love Margaret's diary. I think it is one of the best novels for young readers about the disaster. I'd definitely recommend it to readers who have an interest.
on 31 May 2001
I thought the book was written in a way that made you feel as though you were there with Margaret. It not only tells the story of the tragic sinking of the Titanic, but also allows you to experience what life was like for a young underpriviledged girl almost 100 years ago. The diary format links the story together so that if flows well and is interesting to read. In addtion I especially liked the historical data that was added at the end of the book so that the events in the book can be related to the factual events that took place. I would thoroughly recommend this book to a confident reader in Year 4 or above, or to an adult that enjoys a book written about the Titanic that has a different approach.
on 1 April 2002
The first time I read this book, I knew I wanted to buy it. It made you feel as if you were there, with Magaret, all the way through. Ellen Emerson White is a fantastic author and I will certainly consider purchasing another book of hers. This book is definatly worth five stars!!
on 9 April 2003
This Book is ABSOLUTELY fab!! I enjoyed every moment of it, it never got boring,definetly a five stars! I really couldn't put it down. Furthermore I rate it Better than Harry Potter And The Chamber of Secrets because I love diaries of people and it's fiction based on fact.
with it's exciting moments and those moments of fear, fun and laughter, you'll surely LOVE it, Its a top book , even Adults could read it!!
on 14 September 2009
I read this book to my seven year old daughter (nearly eight!) who is absolutely fascinated by the Titanic. The book although a fictional account is very accurate and written in a very exciting and descritive way. You really get to identify with Margaret Brady and get involved in her own personal experience. This book is a must as it brings this tragic story alive in a fascinating way for young readers and budding historians ! In a nutshell - we loved it !
on 18 November 2007
When I first got this I found it hard to get into, but after the first few pages I got hooked.It's a story about an orphan girl, who gets taken on as a companion by Mrs. Carstairs and travels on the Titanic 1st class. It's about her adventures and the tragedy that strikes when the Titanic hits an iceberg. I was crying at the end. I'd say

Cover 9/10
educational 10/10
exciting 10/10

I recommend it to anyone over 8
on 31 July 2005
Thirteen-year-old Margaret, the fictional passenger that is the "writer" of the "diary" that makes up this book, shouldn't have even been on the Titanic. By a twist of fate that she interprets as good fortune, the orphan, who has been living at an orphanage since her mother died and her brother decided he couldn't care for her properly, gets a job with a wealthy American woman, Mrs. Carstairs. The job is fairly simple: Margaret just has to keep Mrs. Carstairs company during her return voyage to New York, and it comes with a ticket to America. Margaret takes the job eagerly: her brother now is living and working in America, able to support her, and has been saving up for a ticket for her for awhile. Now she can join him immediatley. But Mrs. Carstairs is returning to America on the Titanic. And we all know that voyage is doomed to end of tragedy. So Margaret unknowingly heads off into a disaster. We see through her eyes how the luxuries of first class would appear to a child who lived in poverty all of her life. And of course, the disaster plays a large role in the story as well. I highly reccomend this to fans of the Dear America series, historical fiction, and of course, the Titanic!
No surprises as far as the ending of this book. Yes, the Titanic still sinks. However, the voice of Margaret Ann Brady brings several weeks in April of 1912 to life in a way that grabbed my attention, and I'll admit, even brought a few tears to my eyes at the end.

A twist of fate caused Margaret to be aboard the Titanic for its fateful voyage. After her parents died, her brother left her to be raised by the nuns at an orphanage while he headed to America to find work and a future for the two of them. Margaret always knew that she would someday find a way to leave England to join her brother, but she didn't realize her chance would involve a famous ocean liner.

Margaret is introduced to Mrs. Carstairs, a rich woman from the United States. She is leaving England to return home and is looking for a travel companion. Margaret is perfect for the job, and the job is perfect for her plan to reunite with her brother. Plans are made, and she soon finds herself in the first class quarters aboard the Titanic.

The job is easy. Margaret must be ready to help Mrs. Carstairs dress, dine with her, and walk her tiny dog. The rest of her time is spent exploring and enjoying the fabulous ship. Margaret is fascinated with the elegant dining rooms, the library and writing lounge, and just watching the goings-on around her. An added benefit is a blossoming friendship with Robert, a cabin steward assigned to first class. It's all like a dream come true.

The dream turns into a nightmare when Robert wakes Margaret in the early hours of April 15. He urges her to put on her lifebelt and head to the lifeboats. He emphasizes that it is not a drill but rather a serious situation.

The events that follow have been recounted in books and movies, but Margaret's story will capture the hearts of young readers. Torn between her duty to Mrs. Carstairs, orders from the men to load up the lifeboats, and her fondness for Robert, she nearly becomes one of those lost in the tragic accident.

Author Ellen Emerson White makes her contribution to the DEAR AMERICA series in this riveting account of one of the greatest tragedies of the twentieth century. She makes history come alive, even for those who are less than fond of historical fiction.

Reviewed by: Sally Kruger, aka "Readingjunky"
on 18 November 2001
One of my favorite books!!!When I first read it,I thought It was a real diary!It's really sad and emotianol,and when you'v read it,you feel like you'v been there!
on 10 February 2009
I bought this for my 10 year old daughter, she has read and enjoyed many of the other My Story books. Again, this one did not disappoint, she found it very informative.