on 15 April 2001
Fourteen-year-old Lily works for a wealthy family in Victorian London. She keeps a diary of her experiances in 1850-1851, first as a maid, and then as a nanny to the family's new baby girl. She is befriended by thirteen-year-old Laura, the oldest child in the family, who has become aware of the injustices faced by the poor. I reccomend to book to young readers who enjoy historical fiction, especially girls.
on 9 July 2012
Highly recommend this book, the author manages to bring to life the time and place, in such a creative, personable manner. I sinsed I was there in the house with the characters, sensing the atmosphere of the era. Truly brings this time and place in history to life.
on 18 February 2004
At first, I couldn't bring myself to pick up this book, when I had it as a birthday present. The cover looked so boring and uninteresting. I didn't read it until we started Victorians at school, and my teacher read out the first page. From then on, it is quite exciting. The heroine, Lilly, is a London Maid, and she has to try and stay in the good books of her masters, and that is very hard when there is a trouble-making little rich boy on the loose.
on 1 July 2014
very interesting story of the time of this famous time in history and this will educate youngsters as to what it was like