Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 March 2004
The first book in the Coll and Art Triology exploring the problems of being in a deep and emotional relationship at a young age, and being at that "in-between" age in life where you aren't quite old enough to enjoy adult activities, yet at the same time you're too old to be considered a child.
A very powerful novel which explores aspects of relationships most of us have experienced ourselves. Because of this, I think most people would be able to relate to Coll's perspective without a problem. A very important book for anyone to read, especially younger teenage girls. Even though I bought these books a number of years ago, I still find them very touching and engaging novels to read.
on 31 May 2001
What can I say that everyone else hasn't? It's THE best book 've ever read (and I've read a lot)! I've read it so many times I've lost count. Not only is it emotional and thought provoking it's also very funny. It's written from Coll's point of view so it's sarcastic, witty and you can really understand how she feels. You MUST read it!!
on 25 July 2014
This book is easy to read and easy to follow.
The description of characters is good and very varied, the story is enjoyable even if it is a bit predicable.
I love the character of coll's mum!
This book will have you laughing a crying, it was the ideal companion for me beside the pool!
I downloaded all 4 books and had read them in a few days :-)
on 16 August 2006
What I loved about this book was that it was so realistic and honest, it told a story about a a girl- Coll who like most girls her age does not want to be pressured into anything she does not want to do by overwhelming experienced guys like Art. In the book Coll is made to feel awkward and pressured when Art tries it on with her. Her mother who comes across as neo- feminist surprises Coll when Coll reaches rock bottom. This brings Coll's relationship with her mother closer and also gives Coll, in the end respect from Art as he apoligises.

It was an intelligent read overall and will give girls around the world confidence to stand up for themselves.
on 4 March 2001
Fisrt I wish to thank & congratulate Kate for writing such a wonderful book. Once I started to read "Diving In" I couldn't put it down. Coll & Art's story is like what a lot of teenager's go through. I especially love the way Kate portrays Coll, she is just wonderful. I think if children read this in their English lessons at school as thier class reader it would help them to think what their life is like & what the good & bad points are of them & how to sort them. I now have to save up to buy the last two of the series.
on 12 July 2005
I ordered the 3 books off here last week, they arrived yesterday, and by this afternoon i had finished them. I really couldn't put them down!!
I am 16, and these are the best books ive ever read. This, the first of the three, starts by introducing the character coll, and talks about how she fantasizes about a guy named Art who she see's in the pool everyweek, but feels is out of her league. Finally they meet and he asks her out. He lives up to expectations and coll starts to feel more and more for him. But, she is a virgin and he clearly has a LOT of experience she soon starts to feel under pressure to sleep with him.
I loved the characters in this book, and it doesn't just focus on the main two, but also her friends val and greg, her man hating mother and Arts rich dad and step mum and snobby friends. But i especially loved coll's character, her independance and her strength, the way she doesn't just forget her beliefs about sex being more than just physical, being an emotional connection between people, to impress Art and keep him interested. Also Arts character, even though he was cocky and arrogant, there was also something about him which made me see why coll felt so much for him.... apart from him being gorgeous.
on 26 March 2015
I first read this a few years ago (ok quite a few years ago in the 90's) it was a freebie on a teens magazine.
I adored it back then and have kept it in mind all this time so that when I got my kindle for Christmas it was one of the titles I searched for first.
Reading it again (now a proper grown up) I thoroughly enjoyed it as much as I did back then.
on 24 April 2015
This book was featured as part of a Throwback Thursday post.

Check out the full review:

Happy reading =)
on 22 June 2000
I read this book a month ago and I want to read it again and again. I hardly ever read but I thought this was the only book I put down twice while reading it. If you want a good read about an ENGLISH teenager's strive for her love then read this book and learn about how Coll feels about the mysterious Art.
on 5 May 2003
Kate Cann seems to consitantly be able to produce books with beleivable characters and plot lines. Even better, we see the characters grow as the book goes on, and this is most notably seen with this book.
Coll is at the awkward age where nothing seems to really add up, and going to an all girls school doesn't help matters, and then she has her first boyfriend, Art. And we've all been there- smoothing out the wrinkles in each other, trying to act like you're in an adult relationship, and yet not knowing how to act. Cann captures this feeling of insecurity perfectly, and throws in a few extra problems for spice! (i.e. an over-bearin man-hating mum!)
You can't help but love it, but it also makes you cry because you just want to help Coll. Cann has the wonderful skill of making her characters truly real to us, and for that alone, every-one should read these books!