on 13 May 2017
This is the perfect book for younger kids. Lovely pop-ups and flaps to unfold, presented in a quirky, colourful way. The book is pleasantly robust too, despite the fact that there are so many moving elements to it! Nick Sharratt is such a great author / illustrator for little children!
on 8 July 2008
Elephant Wellyphant is not my usual literary fare. I don't make a habit of hanging around in the children's section, but as a librarian, wandering in occasionally is an occupational hazard. I was shown a copy of Elephant Wellyphant by a colleague a few days ago and it blew my mind. This book takes one joke and mercilessly beats you around the head with it. There is no escape.

The title explains the main premise. It introduces the notion of an elephant and then proceeds to impart variations upon this theme. Wellyphant for example is an elephant in wellies. The deviation from the original concept of elephant grows as the book progresses, slowly testing ones facility to trust in these improbable elephantile occupations. The ordering is magnificent, and the flow is unbroken. I'd love to splurge out more examples of the humour of this book, but it would be a crime to impart any more as every page and every word is dynamite.

The hard hitting, straight to the point text is complemented with the glaring, over the top illustrations. Every elephant is rendered in bold colours leaving no room for analysis or interpretation beyond the very obvious. The total effect is like staring at the sun for too long, the incandescent brightness is blinding as every joke strikes home.

The magical purity of Elephant Wellyphant is no doubt lost on children, but not on me Nick Sharratt, not on me.
44 Comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 24 August 2014
We read it three times in a row at bedtime tonight, my son soon caught on to the pop ups, pull tabs and lift-the-flaps and wanted to try them again and again.

And it's a pleasure to reread. Very short but very funny. It's a book about elephants. Some rather unusual. Our favourites were the tellyphant (son's) and the chocolate caramelephant (mine!).

Sharratt always gives us his brightest and best illustrations with a lot of thought going into each to bring out the joke in the text. I love the internal rhymes and plays on words that my three year old doesn't yet.

A book that can be shared and enjoyed. One to get brand new if possible though. Ours was from the library with a couple of minor rips in it. It's a book that can easily be damaged.

Next for us - Octopus Socktopus
VINE VOICEon 12 October 2007
This is a lovely starter book for babies and toddlers with its tough, tear-resistant pages. There's no story as such, just a daft elephant on every page, and turning over the page gives a different bold bright look with eye catching colours and the simple strong drawings at which Nick Sharratt excels. I particularly like the Unwelliphant, who is green with red spots and looks very sorry for himself, and the hiding-in-the-cellarphant where you just see eyes on a black background. There are inventive flaps particularly for the chocolate caramel elephant which you unwrap like a sweet, for the story-tellerphant's bedtime book and for the transformation of a plain cinderellaphant into to a sparkly-princess. There's also a couple of pull the tab elephants and my older children (5&6) love the fortune-tellerphant's spinning arrow which gives future career direction. A simple idea, well-produced and perfectly pitched to appeal to the 1-4s. If you like this, you must also get Pants and More Pants which is same principle with more text.
Nick Sharratt is one of the foremost children's book illustrators, working both for others, notably Jacqueline Wilson's Tracey Beaker series and illustrating his own work. This is one of his own books for younger readers and is in much the same vein as 'Don't Put Your Finger in the Jelly Nelly' and 'A Cheese and Tomato Spider'.

It is a simple, fun rhyme, punning on the word elephant and using his trademark, bright illustrations to elaborate such wonderful ideas as a 'fruit jellyphant' or a 'Cinderellaphant'. The pages are boldly illustrated with just one elephant per page and the idea is simple enough for even the smallest child to derive pleasure and amusement from.

Although the book is fairly robust it will need adult supervision if it is intended for the very young because there are some flaps and moving parts. There is a page where it is possible to make an elephant fart, a page where you can tune in a 'tellyphant' and a page where you can unwrap a 'caramelephant'. All these are delightful and entrancing for little children but also rather tempting. We found the pulling flaps rather tough to manoeuvre which meant that a little too much force caused unintentional rippage, which is why we are on our second copy.
on 15 January 2008
This is a brilliant book, with wonderful illustrations and a fantastic sense of humour at work. A very clever book, beautifully crafted and produced.
on 10 August 2009
I found this wonderful Novelty book originally in a budget bookshop but when I got it home one of the pages was damaged so I ordered a replacement through Amazon. This copy will eventually find it's way to Cyprus where my little granddaughter is living. In the meantime I pick it off the bookshelf from time to time, just for a giggle. The illustrations are great - large colourful elephants with silly names like Rude Smellipant - when you pull a tag his tail lifts and a "parp" appears. Other equally silly 'phants are Fruit jellyphant, unwellaphant (with measly spots), Cheer up cinderellaphant, Two wings and a Propellerphant, etc. The pictures are "animated" to reveal hidden images that will surprise and delight kids of all ages (even 60pluses!).

I fear the book may soon become dilapidated from overuse by little fingers, but I know I can always buy replacements at any time from Amazon.
on 26 April 2011
This book is so clever but so simple, I love it and hope my daughter will love it as she learns to read.

Everyone needs at least one Nick Sharratt book in their collection.

They are brilliant
on 11 January 2013
I have brought this book and octopus socktopus for quite a few children and its loved by them all. My recent purchase of this book was for my friends two year old twins - one book each! They love the silly rhymes, the mad pictures of the elephants and octopus' and the fun of the various pop-up mechanisms. Although now little battered from the overuse, its currently still their favourite books! Entertaining for children and adults!
on 2 July 2013
This book goes down a treat with our 2 & 4 year olds. The first one we bought got wrecked/torn with the amount of use it got, so we bought a 'fresh' copy. Same goes for the Octopus book, it's another favourite that's wrecked so we're buying another one! They're very enjoyable reads for adults and kids. The Cow book is good also but not as good as the Elephant & Octopus books.