Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Tokio Myers Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 3 July 2016
Super books! There are simply not enough superlatives to chuck upon them. Human history is not a pleasant subject, nor is the present, and the future might even be worse, but at least we can laugh, can't we, as we exploit, cheat, injure, murder one another, singly and/or in huge numbers, either that or just rot away? Distance not only makes the heart grow fonder, but also the hurt seem not quite so bad. But oh it is, it is. Stupid deaths indeed.
review image
on 30 April 2016
Can't go wrong at £13 for 20 books. Bought to split down and wrap as party bag gift as so cheap. Ended up buying a second box as my daughter wanted them all too.
on 6 March 2017
Good value, although many will remain unread afewr initial enthusiasm wears off.
on 3 April 2017
EXCELLENT
on 11 August 2009
Recently I reviewed another book in this series, The Gorgeous Georgians, which was the first book from the Horrible Histories series I'd read . I was impressed with it, and enjoyed reading through it with my daughter so much, that I decided to go and get some more books in the series . The second book I've read is Rotten Romans.

The Horrible Histories series is a collection of illustrated books written by the wonderful author known as Terry Deary, with illustrations provided by Martin Brown . I did a little research into Terry Deary , and happened across the fact that he's written over 200 books! There are loads of books in this particular series, which aims to teach history in a way more fun and exciting for younger people - by including some of the more unbelievable facts about the era. This particular book focuses on Ancient Rome from 753 b.c right up to 446 a.d , and covers all sorts of areas - Evil Emperors, Roman recipes, Roman folk tales - all sorts of information.

After a brief introduction, which like the first book takes a little time to poke fun and teachers, you're launched into the book with a timeline - nicely presented bite size facts, many illustrated with a small jokey cartoon. There is also a nice little map of England as it would have been back then, with 21 of the leading tribes and their locations clearly mapped out . I found this map a useful reference to come back to at various stages in the book,and it helped me in explaining things to my daughter.

Opening the book, the text is a nice size for young readers (my daughter is six, and can read this with a little assistance from me) although some passages are written in Italics, or as though they were handwriting, which she finds a little harder to read .

There are illustrations on every page, making it far more lively as a book, and also enabling my daughter to interpret new words a little easier. Most illustrations have a small joke, often in the form of a pun included . My daughter is a little too young to understand many of the jokes, but I got a chuckle out of them .

The wording in the book is simple, but not patronising, and although there are a few words that might be trickier for young readers, they are often explained and broken down to make them easier to understand .

Unlike the first book, there is a quiz element to the early chapters of this, that present you with situations faced by the Roman Army, and ask you what decision you think was made in that situation . This was perhaps a little too challenging for my daughter, but the books are aimed at slightly older children . Instead of taking it as a quiz, I read each question then looked up the answer and explained it to her.

I did the Romans at school when I was younger, but I'd forgotten a lot of the information , so reading this book revived my memory of what I'd learned at school, as well as teaching me a lot of new things about this period in history - such as the fact that the Army would keep 2/7ths of your wages, and save them for you. When you retired, assuming you lived long enough to retire, you were given back this lump sum, meaning you could retire in relative comfort .

We actually made together one of the recipes included in the book, Numidian Chicken, which is chicken in a fruity, spicy, honeyed sauce . It was actually pretty nice, although we did steer very clear of trying out the various cures suggested in one part of the book . Now, I'm a very tired person, I have trouble sleeping, but their remedy for tiredness, which involved crushing frogs and shrimp together, is one I prefer to avoid for the time being . I also didn't realise that the game Blind Mans Bluff was around during those times .

Whilst the book was enjoyable, I found it more challenging for my daughter than the first book we read was . Whether this was because I knew less about the period, or because the book was actually more difficult I can't say - however, the books are aimed at kids over 8, so my daughter is a little young for these . With that said, I still recommend picking up a copy .

A great way to further your childs interest in history .
on 13 May 2010
This was a great purchase for Mr 9, who loves the series, there is enough reading material here to keep him reading for weeks and weeks (hopefully anyway) - great value highly recommended
on 1 November 2017
Much enjoyed by my eight year old grandson, who's studying The Romans at schol.. A different perspective!
on 2 October 2017
The books are ok, bought this for neice, remember reading them with my daughter. Not as good as I remember. We put the TV Horrible Histories on instead. Hilarious, written by a great team.
on 16 April 2007
...with a NEW COVER (to avoid possible duplication).

'Nasty Nero and the other awful emperors to Brave Boudicca, and the poor old peasants, who tried to send the Romans right back where they came from.......

Want to know:

• what Roman soldiers wore under their kilts?
• how Ancient Britons got their hair nice and spikey?
• why rich Romans needed a vomitorium?

Read on to find some terrible tactics of the rotten Roman army, clever ideas of the cut-throat Celts, gory games, rotten recipes and loads of frightening facts.
History has never been so horrible!'

Colourful paperback covers open to 136 pages, split over chapters:

7. Rotten Roman fun and games
8. Rotten Roman food
9. Rotten Roman religions
10. Rotten Roman facts

with an introduction and an epilogue.

Written with the typical Deary humour in a variety of type styles, with superb illustrations/cartoons throughout, from Martin Brown.
on 20 March 2007
Nasty Nero and the other awful emperors to Brave Boudicca and the poor old peasants, who tried to send the Romans right back where they came from.......

Want to know:

* what Roman soldiers wore under their kilts?
* how Ancient Britons got their hair nice and spikey?
* why rich Romans needed a vomitorium?

History has never been so horrible!'

A witty, colourful cover opens to 128 pages, split over chapters:

7. Rotten Roman fun and games
8. Rotten Roman food
9. Rotten Roman religions
10. Rotten Roman facts

with an introduction and an epilogue.

Written with the typical Deary humour and illustrations from Martin Brown throughout.