1,099

on 3 October 2009
Never mind children...I enjoyed reading these books and look forward to when my daughters are old enough to be read them or to read for themselves, I like the concepts and its good to get to know the characters even if occasionally Lyra gets on your nerves.

Would recommend these to all sorts of ages, they make a fab present especially in the box set as you can read them all easily.
on 13 October 2001
In the Amber Spyglass, Will and Lyra have to deal with even more enemies, but luckily, even more friends. Together with Iorek Byrinson, Mrs. Coulter and many others Will and Lyra go down to the world of the dead to speak to Roger and Will's father.One of the best books I ever read. I love all philip pullman's books, especially this one. I'm reading it for the 13th time now.
VINE VOICEon 19 January 2008
In a visual world it is all too easy to let others take over your imagination. You accept other peoples' visions as your own. It is convenient, easy, saves your effort but in effect makes your creative abilities go first numb and then dead. This is a book which may help re-awaken what you might have forgotten ever having. Or what you never had, brought up in front of a TV screen.
It would be a spoiler to give out any hints about the content - anyway, it is too complex to be summed up in a review in any but a ridiculous way. The important part is that Pullman creates a whole new world in his book, a world at an angle to ours and he gives you a chance to join him in the trip this book is, imagining the world he describes. If the book had nothing more to offer (and it is hardly the case) this alone would make it a perfect choice.
I could never understand why Harry Potter became a world bestseller and Pullman lagged behind. Let's hope that the movie and general interest that follows will give Pullman the place he has always deserved.
on 19 December 2011
When I reached the end of this trilogy I almost grieved at the thought it had finished. I feel like no other book will ever grip me and draw me into another world as this one has.

I found the books exciting, moving and enthralling. The descriptions of all the other worlds make me feel as if I am actually there. I love the strength of the characters, the richness of the plot and the way it leaves me thinking over every part of the story for hours afterwards.

I initially borrowed the books individually from a friend. By the time I had reached the end of the second book I knew I would want to re-read them over and over again, which is why I chose this specific product as I wanted them all in one book so that I could carry it with me easily on my travels.

Best book I've ever read. I reached the end of it longing for a deamon of my own!
on 25 November 2007
I've known of these books for a long time, and was looking for a literary present to give to me neice (10 yo). I'm a long time Sci-Fi and Fantasy fan, but what clinched it for me was the 1 star review by Princess (UK). If even a little of what she rants about is true in these books then I suggest all children read it. I'm sick of religious dogma and to be honest all the ranting from religious types. It's only a book. It's fiction - that makes it as valid as your belief.
on 30 April 2013
So, this is the last(and longest) installment in the His Dark Materials Trilogy and every bit as heart wrenching as the first two, maybe even more heart wrenching.

I learned a lot of surprising truths about the characters that I thought I knew in this book. This was definitely an exciting read for me, and I really connected with the characters, feeling their joy and their pain throughout.

Pullman has written an amazing trilogy here, one that I will read again again for years to come.
on 5 January 2002
This is my favourite book in the whole wide world, As a 12 year old boy, this book captivated me and drew me in to such a point, I could not stop reading.
I remember reading the ending in a rush, so I didn't have time to take it in, but afterwards, I realised why people say it's bad, the only reason I think it could be slightly bad is it means he can't right another one (OK, so it's a trilogy, and??). But other than that, it is brilliant.
Unlike the roughly-the-same-sized Lord of The Rings, this book does not bore you, I think the fact that it has multiple plots is a downside, as I wanted to keep hearing about one section. But I do not hesitate to give this book 5 Stars, because it is the most awesome book in the world. EVER, and that, is a true fact, now it just needs to be scientifically proved for me to be true, oh well.
GET THIS BOOK NOW (but read the others first), YOU WONT BE DISSAPOINTED
on 11 June 2009
For lovers of fantasy, this book, the third in the trilogy is just as exciting and page turning as the first two.
Philip Pullman's imagination is vast, entertaining and thrilling. I haven't finished it yet but it's hard to put down! I recommend all three books to children and adults alike but read in order to know what's going on!
on 18 January 2013
After reading the previous two books in the series I was expecting a good read and looking forward to a happy ending that tied everything together.........spot on with the good read, couldn't put it down, read it in two sessions.......everything tied together in a satisfactory way...happy ending(?)....gulp.......have a tissue handy for the last few pages....sniff sniff. Great book thoroughly recommend it.
on 25 March 2001
Northern Lights and the Subtle Knife seemed to embody everything that is exciting about good children's fiction - or maybe I should say 'young adult'. I was blown away by both and, as a teacher, excited by the enthusiasm for reading generated in pupils. Along with so many others I awaited Amber Spyglass impatiently. Perhaps that was the problem. Could anything live up to the anticipation? Had Philip Pullman set himself too hard a task? Whatever the cause, and despite so much to recommend it, I felt let down by the book. I don't have a problem with the ending, but I found the tone didactic, the messsage at times uncomfortable, too many deep ideas covered too fast and yes, I agree with the reviewer who was disappointed by the lack of development of Lord Asriel's character...surely too good to miss? None the less, I too will miss Lyra, Will, Pan et al. Friends I am glad to have made.