TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 July 2008
I did dither over whether or not to read Inkspell as I found Inkheart a little slow in places but decided to go for it as I can't leave a trilogy hanging......

I'm glad I did, because it's worth the read. As interesting a concept as Inkheart was (reading characters 'out' of books), Inkspell held my attention and imagination better, perhaps because it's more interesting to see what goes on when you read yourself 'into' an imaginary world?

I don't know if it's intentional, but this book seemed to follow the same formula as the first, as far as 'pace' goes. The first third of the book had me turning pages to see what surprises the new world held....the middle third seemed to drop a gear and meander along until it reached the third and final section where the action picked up again. The story is still worth the time spent to read it, but that slow middle bit just knocks a star off for me.

I find myself not liking some characters that I liked in the first book(Fenoglio) and situations (for some reason Farid and Meggie really jar with me as a couple. I don't know why, but they just do), but to even things out though, I found I really missed Elinor (whom I didn't have a lot of time for in the last one) and I'm hoping she gets to join them in part 3..... Swings and roundabouts.

I'm looking forward to the final part, due out towards the end of the year, and recommend reading them in order to anyone starting out as they do follow on from one another.
on 18 March 2006
i have read inkheart and thought it was the BEST book i have ever read so when i heard that there was another book i though i must have that book. the thing that makes it so good is that it sucks you in if mo is sad you are sad f meggie is happy , you are happy if dustfinger crys u cry. Truly fantastic! It is a brilliant book and a MUST read. You wish the book will never end but like mo says " the last page of a book is not the end , as the first page is never really the begining" Cornelia Fuke you are a truly magnificant writer and i praise you highly.
on 30 October 2005
An incredible follow up from the first book, Inkheart. The exciting tail of Meggie, Mo, Resa, Dustfinger, Friad, and all the other charecters continues. On the day I bought this book I finished it, it was so good. A deffinate five star. The tail drags you into the story just as Silvertounghs voice drags you out of one. An amazing book when Dustfinger returns to his story, but things have gone wrong and it's up to Meggie and the others to fix the Inkworld before it is too late. A story that I think anyone would love, although it is adviced you read the first exciting enstalment first ;)
on 8 March 2008
I have to admit I found Inkheart tedious. Having got Inkspell for my daughter I was pleasantly surprised. Now in Dustfinger's world, we lose some of the duller characters and Cornelia Funke writes much better when in full fantasy mode, than when trying to recreate 'reality'. If like me you were half hearted about the first book, be brave, try this one. It's sooo much better. I'll certainly be reading book 3.
on 19 February 2006
after reading inkheart i thought there was no way it could be topped. then when i finished the secound book (inkspell)i realised i was wrong. inkspell is excellent!!! meggie and her family are in the book (inkheart) and have to deal with some serious problems. what if a loved one dies? what will happen to meggie and her family? will they survive in such an unfamiliar world?? read the book to find out!!!
on 22 June 2011
Sequels are meant to be poor in comparison to the first this is not. The normal characters exist in the book such as Dustfinger, Mo and Meggie but also introduces us to some new just as dynamic characters. Some are just a villainous as the ones in the first book, some characters are just as endearing.

This book like the first deals with the fantasy world of Inkworld but this time from the prospective of being in the world. This was a brilliant book that I couldn't get enough of, which is just as well as it is the second in a trilogy

There is only thing better than finishing a good book, is the apprehension of the next one.
on 20 May 2013
It is a pretty good storyline but getting a little bit like (a never ending story) but good enough for me to get the next instalement as it is starting to get very intriquing with so many of the carrecters being killed off and others being brought in ? starting to get a little confusing but still good.
VINE VOICEon 27 August 2009
When I read Inkheart I thought that it didn't quite live up to its potential even though it was an interesting story with interesting characters, it lacked a little something that would make it amazing and Inkspell was much the same.

Admittedly the characters seemed to come more alive in the pages of their own book world, particularly Dustfinger but the story seems less focused on its characters than it does on just telling a story and painting a world which is a shame because some of the characters could really bring the story alive if they had more depth. This might be because Funke's world has way too many characters in it to work with successfully.

Although at times it was painfully slow and I had to skim through a lot of the more rambley bits, I did enjoy the last few chapters and will read the final book in the trilogy.

Parents should be aware that the book does use some language which may not be suitable for young readers.

Inkspell is a nice book with a very interesting premise but not necessarily one which sucks you into its pages like the Inkheart world does to Meggie.
on 30 July 2013
So I bought this book for 01 pence and paid £2.80 for delivery I was very happy with it there were a few little rips on the cover but I knew it was second hand so I didn't mind and as it was only one pence I was quite happy with the outcome. I am yet to read it. But it does seem very good. It was in good condition when I received it and it was packaged well with protection
I am giving it 4 stars as the cover wasn't in too good of a condition. ;)
on 23 March 2006
this book is amazing. Cornelia funke writes great storys!!!!!!!!!!!
when you read the book its as if the characters are there with you. It is a great read and i cant wait for the next one!!!!!!!!!!!!!