• Cut

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 March 2004
This book is a good read for those people who either self harm and want to find out more on this topic, and why they feel compelled to engage in this activity, or for friends or relatives of those who self harm who want to know how they're feeling. Although Callie's feelings are not expressed in the best possible way, which may leave the reader a little confused, 'Cut' offers an interesting insight into mental health units that many people may find enlightening.
on 10 May 2005
I recently watched the movie thirteen which also has two scenes of self harm and I was writing a review on this website and had this as hot pick in books. I became attracted to the story and bought it. I am half way through and I am begining to love it, It is a sad story of a 15-year-old girl named Callie who is not the talkative type, she is a patient at Sea Pines known as "Sick Minds" a treatment centre where her mother and father send her after discovering that she cut herself.But she can stay silent only temporarily as she lets out her secret that led to her self harmly behavior. This is one to read if you want to stop self harming and shows you what teens and adults sometimes go through.
on 22 September 2006
I don't normally place reviews as I don't usually have much to say, however....

I really "enjoyed" this book. This was one of the few books I've read that as a former self harmer (though I do occasionally have the odd accident) that went someway to describe the reality of why people cut. As a 29 y/o bloke I still managed to drop instantly into the mind and world of Callie. The opening few pages honestly describe how I first started to cut or atleast the descent into "madness" behind it. I guess that it's best to be in a your safe place...Just incase. My only complaint is that it's very short at 173 pages and to make it last I read at work so I could make it last as long as possible. The writing style though not upto Girl, Interrupted is still very good especially the 1st person perspective.

I would say if you liked Girl, Interrupted then buy this.
on 27 January 2004
I'm a self harmer, and read this book in yet another failed attempt to try and stop. Parts of this book are realistic in its description of events and some feelings. But I found the book incredibly lacking of substance, and at times frustrating to read. Also, it's very short, I read through it in a day. Although some of the emotions described are vaguely accurate a lot seem to be from a person who hasn't really a clue what goes on in a cutter's mind or in an inpatient setup.
In my opinion it's fairly light hearted around the subject, but I know a lot of people will completely disagree with me. Read it if you don't self harm and want to know some of the basics behind it, but otherwise don't bother.
on 8 February 2004
this is one of the best book i have ever read. the auther obviously did alot of reasearch into this subject. I must have read this book about 15 times now. As someone who self harms, this book is very good. That you arent on your own. Not the only one feeling like you do.
on 25 February 2005
I really enjoyed this book as it desribes self harm with great precision. I really understood the character and how she was feeling. I myself cut for about a year and it really helped me. It comforted me to know that there were others out threr like me. I recommened this book to any teenagers or even adults who have self harmed or would like to learn more about it.
on 1 February 2003
The most admirable aspect of this book is McCormick's refusal to show the girls who exist in the treatment facility, Sea Pines, as anything other than real, ordinary girls with unordinary problems. Callie and friends all seem to suffer from a lack of confidence and self-esteem that is at the hub of their self-destructive issues and McCormick is sensitive but never sentimental about dealing with their plight. Unlike many other books that tackle mental-disorders Cut never resorts to making its characters do illogical or "cute" things to show their mental state. There are no irritatingly two-dimensional irrational people such as in Girl Interrupted- Cut has more in common with the sensitivity of Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar in portraying institutions.
Although squarely aimed at the mid-teen readership Cut has the maturity of tone to appeal to those older as well. Underneath the plot is a simple story of someone trying to understand herself which is a theme appealing to all. What is also interesting is the lack of male characters- Callie's brother and father are the only exceptions to the female dominance of the novel. Through this environment McCormick has created some realistic and sympathetic girls who's fight to get better is a tale defiantly worth reading.
on 17 October 2011
This was indeed a very fast read and it was intriguing. It was not particularly well written in terms of use of vocabulary or detail, but it had a good pace and left me wanting to read more. The book did have a good sense of realism and it was clear that McCormick did try to get into Callie's mind. I particularly liked how this was the view of the protagonist talking to and thinking about her therapist.
A very good, short read.
on 11 September 2012
great book, nice length for someone who doesn't want to commit to reading hundreds of pages. recommended age range i would say about 14-25 depending on maturity. i'm a teenage girl(16) and adored this book, nice to read between exams ect without effecting school work. it's only about two chapters long but the chapters are very long, i would prefer it if they were shorter but fantastic book anyway! couldn't put it down!:D
on 9 June 2002
This book is really powerful.I read it to try and understand why some of my friends were self-harming and I'm a bit nearer to understanding them.This book almost made me cry.It is written really cleverly.