on 14 January 2005
I bought this book for my little sister (age 11) who really LOVED it. I've just finished reading it myself (I'm 22!), and I loved it too. I know it's a cliche, but this book really will make you laugh and make you cry. The characters will stay with you long after you put the book down. This is a truly touching book for children of all ages.
on 11 January 2005
I absolutely loved Freak the Mighty. It's a cliche, but it realy did make me laugh out loud and then cry. The relationship between Freak and Max was engaging and entertaining - I especially loved the way Freak talked about his illness to Max, and the imaginary adventures they go on.
on 22 August 2012
Freak the Mighty is an endearing story of loyalty and courage.

It is the story of Maxwell and Kevin: two boys who are larger than life. Maxwell is growing into a big lad. He is much taller than the other kids in his class. People call him retarded and they are all waiting for him to "go bad" because the "apple doesn't fall far from the tree". In kindergarten he was known as Kicker. But now he's in the eighth grade and he's shut out the event that traumatised his childhood.

Kevin is small for his age. He has a disease which means he's stopped growing on the outside but not on the inside. Kevin is a genius. He has a vocabulary far more advanced than his age and he loves looking up new words in his trusty dictionary.

Maxwell and Kevin become great friends and together unleash their imaginative powers to become Freak the Mighty.

I read this book in a single sitting. It is short and has a wonderfully direct narrative voice which speaks to the reader. Maxwell tells the story of Freak the Mighty. We learn how he and Kevin become friends and their bond is heart-warming. Philbrick's characterisation was excellent - Kevin's dialogue had me laughing out loud - I was utterly involved in the characters' stories and really felt the emotions of every step of their adventure.

Freak the Mighty is touched with tragedy and heartbreaking sorrow that is a part of life. It brought me to tears but it also celebrated how important a true friendship can be to transform a person beyond their fears. A wonderful and moving story. Recommended for readers age 9 and up.
on 22 June 2007
I actually bought this by mistake, thinking it was a quirky Chuck Palahniuk type read, and was expecting a dark and twisted story about the cynical camraderie between a cripple and an outcast giant and their subsequent exploits. As a 32 year old guy who shuns magazines, television and most fiction as junk food for the brain, and preferring true life crime and travel, it's completely not the sort of book I would ever pick up if not for the aforementioned mistake. However, a fortuitous mistake it was: this book is awesome. It's aimed at children, but is so brilliantly written that if you can remove yourself for long enough to be immersed in your younger mind you'll get through this book in a few hours and remember how wonderful reading felt when you were a kid with a good book.

If life ever blesses me with children, this is the sort of book I will recommend when they become young adults.
on 14 June 1999
My nephew and I read this book together, we laughed, we cried, we didn't want it to end. This is a wonderful book for boys, the level of honesty is sometimes hurtful but necessary for the story to be so touching. This is my 4th purchase for a 4th nephew/friend!
on 25 November 2004
It's a shame if you've read the synopsis, as things only become clear as the story develops. I read this book at two sittings - it would have been one had I not been interrupted!
A book about disability which is wonderfully enabling. A book about death which is life-enhancing. And enormously funny. Occasionally scarey. Often very touching.
Whatever you do, remember to read the dictionary at the end - but don't read it till you've read the book or it won't make any sense.
Age range 11+++ I think that adults will enjoy this 'children's' book - well, I did.
on 9 January 2016
I read this book at school and my whole class loved it especially me! It is very sad at the end as it is very dramatic and you really feel as if you are in it!

it is very exciting and well writen!

i woul also recommend to film as well!!!!!!!!
Maxwell Kane is the ultimate misfit, growing taller every day and clumsy because of it, struggling with his learning and teased at school because of it, and isolated further because his dad is in prison for murder and everybody knows it. Maxwell is a boy who wants to hide from the world and can't. Then he meets Kevin. Kevin suffers from a type of dwarfism, but makes up for it with a boundless enthusiasm for life and a spectacular brain. Maxwell and Kevin form an unlikely bond and between them become Freak the Mighty, conquering the world one quest at a time.

The story is written in Maxwell's words, and his voice is an unusual one, but once you get into the rhythms and short cuts of his speech the book comes vividly to life. This is a powerful, clever, sad and uplifting book with a lot to say about difference, but not in a preachy ram it down your throat way. I loved this book.
on 31 August 2012
I was recommend this by one of the librarians and I got it as a group read for my Teen Book Group at the library back in May. Half the group read it, the rest didn't and I never got round to it. BUt 2 of the teenagers told me it was good and definitely worth a read so i kept hold of it.
I picked this up this afternoon as I wanted a quick read and this was only 175 pages with fairly big writing so I thought it would be perfect. The book is narrated by Maxwell Kane (Max) he lives with his Gram and Grim (grandparents) and his room is in the Basement but he likes being able to hide in the dark spaces, it's the only place he really can hide as he is very big for his age, so stands out in any crowd.
But everything changes when Kevin moves in a couple of doors down. Kevin is a child genius but is also tiny. He has a sort of Dwarfism. Together the pair strike up an odd friendship, Kevin ends up finding a comfortable perch on Max's shoulder and together they call themselves 'Freak The Mighty'. Kevin is like a walking dictionary and has a vivid imagination, so together they go on all sorts of adventures. Max starts to realise that he can do things for himself such as read and learn. It's like Kevin is an extra brain, teaching him things he needs to know.
But then a figure from his past comes back and Max is in danger, can the pair find a way out, and save each other.
This book is quite involved considering it is so short but I actually enjoyed it. I loved Kevin's spark, he was so happy and jumpy at everything and would also come out with all sorts of 'posh' words and long sentences that made him sound like a super brain. But he is so friendly and encouraging to Max that you can't help but become attached to him.
Max is like a gentle giant, sort of like a teen BFG. He comes across as quite slow and unintelligent, but throughout the book you see him develop and grow.
There are some laugh out loud moments, some gasp moments, some ridiculous moments and some sad moments. I did not expect the ending and was quite sad at the turn of events (i don't want to give it away) but I admire the author for following the story truthfully.
A sweet touching story that has a good message to it and is an enjoyable book. Good for adults and children alike.
on 2 September 1999
My mom is a teacher,and for years she tried to get me to read this book.However,I'd heard it was kind of sad ,and I don't really like sad books.Finally,I decided to read it,and I was pleasantly surprised.Not only was it interesting,poignant,and thought-provoking,but hilarious,too.I have also read the sequel,Max the Mighty, and found it just as excellent.I am now eagerly waiting to see the movie.I recommend this book to absolutely anyone who likes reading,and if you don't like to read,you will after reading this book.