Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 26 February 2016
Brilliant searching reflection on the shadier side of Western history. A collage of historical quotes, narrative and personal diaries, layers of propaganda and fantasy massaging credulity only to be broken down, absorbed and rehashed by publishers and self publicists. A conspiracy handbook of the cult world of secret societies set against the backdrop of Italian politics.
The theme derides conspiracy theorists only to set the year for the Templar's revenge as 66 years after 1944. Whist Umberto Eco claims these things are silly nonsense he couldn't have picked a worse year as an example, but that's assuming you believe he doesn't believe in conspiracy theories.
Just as his characters often own collections of rare literature such was Umberto Eco's fantastic personal library and one wonders what he came across during the research for this book. I think his point is that the more fantastic the conspiracy theory the greater the smoke screen. The question becomes, why do theories do their best to cover what they claim to be exposing. No prizes for answering that one.
on 24 May 2017
On the whole a good and interesting read, with intriguing insights into how conspiracy theories are formed and develop. But very long, and in the end it just seemed to run out of steam. Also, the internal logic seemed to break down (e.g. when, in the timescale of the action, did the narrator find time to set down this long and elaborate text, full of arcane references?)
on 10 April 2017
In my opinion Eco's masterpiece. I read the book a few times and never ceases to impress me. It's not an easy read by any stretch but worth the effort.
on 2 April 2017
Excellent and value for money!
on 2 January 2017
In truth I found it a little juvenile in comparison to his other works, yet it was still entertaining enough to inspire the
likes of Dan Brown obviously.
This books by Eco is far superior to the DaVinci code. Not only it nails the "conspiracy" type story to perfection, it was also written many years before Da Vinci Code, and in my opinion a much better work of literature.
on 18 July 2017
Excellent
on 28 November 2016
Well presented on the kindle.

At the moment its heavy going and far too clever for its own good.
I believe it calms down in later chapters. Lets hope so ...

Review work in progress
on 8 July 2017
Good quality. Coming faster then expect :)
on 8 June 2017
Amazing book. There was a friend of mine who really liked that book. For a certain period of time, we didn't speak to each other. During that period, I found out that she liked that book a lot, but unfortunately she had lost it somewhere. I bought this book as a gift to honor this special friendship and gave it to her the next time we met. On that same night, that special friendship turned into a passionate romance. Our souls gave birth to a passion so strong, that neither of us could handle. The passion was getting stronger and stronger, as we were slowly dying. We ended up killing parts of our souls to feed that passion. We gave parts of our selves to feed it's hunger. Now, we are consumed by it so much, that we barely know who we really are. Sometimes we feel in endless love, sometimes we are in terrible pain. If I was to go back in time, knowing what I know now, I would still buy that book as a gift to her and let this move lead us down the same path all over again.