Customer reviews

Great quality 'used' book
on 15 August 2017
excellent product love it
on 22 June 2009
I bought this book to revise as I have last studied maths 20 years ago. Great book and I would recommend it. However, please make sure you buy the latest edition as I went for a cheap second hand book and found a few errors in the answers section. I have checked against newer books (identical book, just more recent edition) and the errors have been corrected but when you have just started studing the subject after 20 years break this is not very encouraging! But if you do get an older one which says you've got the wrong answer, don't always blame it on the book! :-)
on 17 October 2012
This book is amazing. I decided to take up A-level maths as a home study thing. The book goes through everything in perfect detail. Every concept is shown (whereas other books just tell you the 'rule' and expect you to learn it, without showing any of the underlying derivations.

Another great thing is the amount of questions and exercises. Every subject is worked into slowly, so it starts basic and then after a couple of exercises, it builds to the level of difficulty you will be required to pass for the exam. Example exam questions are dotted through the book and are labelled with an [A], exactly like that.

I have a tutor for my maths study who I can email for help, but I've hardly needed him at all. The book has been good enough for me to go it alone, and in fact I think I may have wasted my money on paying for this distance learning course, when I could have just spend 10 or 20 quid on the relevant books and taught myself alone.

This book really is that good. And the same goes for the next one, Pure Core 3 and 4.

5 stars!
on 1 March 2009
Very thorough, with typically 4-5 examples per question set, which there are many of. Explanations aren't always clear, but they make more sense with a teacher, or another learned person. Some large chunks of explanation are shortened to bullet points of the steps you have to take to arrive at an answer. The answers in the back are rarely with a mistake.
on 20 August 2012
Bought for GCSE further maths and to cover the early part of A/S levels. So far was used for further maths and was very useful as a revision guide. The teacher needs to focus you on the relevant sections for the exam but once this is done the book helps to capture what is relevant.
VINE VOICEon 27 June 2012
best book for AQA AS, covers almost all of the information, plenty of questions, and sometimes there are rare difficult questions in the exams, these are found in the questions in the book, although i wouldnt bother being that much of a perfectionist, i dont think its worth the effort. if you want the worked solutions theyre sold in a disc which isnt produced no more unless you buy it for £400, but the worked examples cover things very well anyway. this book got me my 100% in C1 and almost 100 in C2, and i used almost no help from my teachers.
on 9 April 2015
This is a solid, good revision guide for AQA AS maths, covering the required topics well enough.

There is a good number and variety of questions to practice on.

However, I feel that some key areas are perhaps left out, for example algebra long division. For this, I had to watch tutorials on the internet.
on 6 November 2015
I am doing A level maths on a home study course and this book is far more informative than the actual course content. All areas are covered with lots of examples and questions, some of which are previous A level test questions. I think I could have studied for my course with just this book!