on 2 May 2006
This book is a must for anyone doing courses in childcare.

It is written in clear and is very easy to understand. I have found it invaluable whilst attending my cache diploma course. I have even used it to assess my own children. This book focuses on all child development upto the age of 16.
on 20 June 2015
The best quick-look, easy-reference handbook about child development in the world! I give one to every new mum I know when they have their first baby!
on 7 March 2015
ok
on 2 January 2001
This book is a gem to anyone wanting to know about stages in a childs development, parents, carers or students like myself.It is clearly set out, broken down in to age groups and within that sub headings discussing the stages a child may have reached in a variety of areas, Gross motor skills, fine motor skills sensory development, cognitive and language development, emotional and social development and play.The details of each section is simply bullet pointed underneath. To follow on from this Carolyn Meggitt has written ideas for activities and suggestions for promoting development for each age group. Overall this book has simplified detail of a child's development which is easy to read and refer to.
11 Comment| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 June 2006
This book is really really helpful, I am currently working my way through my NVQ3 and ordered this book in the hope that it would provide more information than what is given in the child care and development book when breaking down the ages and stages of child development, especially in the cognitive and language development sections, which are covered in less detail in the other child care book. The way it is set out is clear and concise and also provides activity ideas too.
on 17 November 2001
i brought this book to help me with my child care CACHE level 3 Diploma and i think that it is a great place to find out about developmental norms, childrens needs, etc. it is set out by having sections for each age up to 8 which makes it really easy to read
on 8 December 2016
didn't order this
on 15 October 2008
I have had this book for a long time and along with most Childcare students consider it a must have, so was surprised to find it had only four stars on Amazon. I had to look! It transpires that the people who gave it less than five stars mostly had bought the wrong book for their purposes! Shouldn't a book be marked for it's quality for it's designated purpose? If that was the case this would always get 5 stars! The key to the books popularity, and suitability for it's purpose lies in it's full title; Child Development, An Illustrated Guide. It doesn't claim to be a book on development theory, or a book just for the early years, it is best used in alongside other more theoretical books. Why do some people not bother to read covers of books before buying them?
on 21 April 2004
I am a student on a child care course, which involves large amounts of observations, which then all have to be linked to the age and stage of the child. I have used this book in every single observation I have done so far. It is so simple to use, there is a chapter for every age from birth to 8 years and the chapters are clearly divided into sections of development. This book has been a complete life saver to me - I'd recomend it to anyone on a childcare course!
on 16 June 2004
This book was a core book to use as part of my Cache diploma level three in childcare and education course at college 2 years ago. (I don't know what i would have done without it...)
The book contains sections regarding child development starting from birth to 8 years. I found this book really easy to use, furthermore, the language used in the book is also easy for us to understand and relate to.
I was particuarly impressed with the recommended actvities section for each age group situated within the book. Also there is a section on meeting the needs of all children including children with special educational needs which i thought was a good idea to include as i have a family member who has SEN and i also work with children with SEN too. This allowed me the opportunity to use some of the recommended actvities and helped me in the assistance of my assignments which are part of the course.
I am currently studying early childhood studies at university and i can reflect and refer to this book when needing information. I have told other students about this book and they are buying it.