Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 March 2009
This is a fantastic book for Early Years Foundation degree Students. I'm sure I will still be using it when I progress onto the primary teaching degree. It is an all-rounder! All subjects are explained in an easy to understand way and it gives you a broad overview. I have used it for every assignment so far. Covers subjects such as multi-agency working, Child protection issues, legislation and policies, some theorists, working with parents and being a reflective and effective practitioner. Would recommend.
on 4 March 2012
The book arrived swiftly and in perfect condition. This is a brilliant book, ideal for helping me with my Foundation Degree. I am on my second year yet this book is still so useful. I have taken it out from the library on several occasions and am now delighted to have my own copy.
on 10 October 2014
I definitely recommend this book to anyone doing an early years degree. I've only had the book 2 weeks but I've already used it loads for referencing. If you struggle thinking of where to go to next in your assignments this will give you the guidance as to who to follow on to and who would be useful within different areas. Invaluable!
on 12 February 2015
I really wanted to like this but I find it very hard to read. The text merely touches on things you need to know about without going into detail. I find it impossible to digest this kind of writing. It seems to have been aimed at people with a very low level of academic ability but even then, what is the point of such brief discourse without any challenging content to analyse or discuss?
on 6 November 2009
This text was recomemended by my tutor as the core one for the Foundation Degree in early years and I can see why. It is extremely readable,contains a lot of information that is relevant to HE childcare courses and really gets you thinking. But best of all, Amazon sold it for the BEST price! Excellent!!Advanced Early Years: For Foundation Degrees and Levels 4/5, 2nd edition
on 17 October 2014
This book is required reading for my Montessori course that is based in the UK. Of all the required reading materials, I find it the most difficult to read. Not because it is difficult to comprehend, but that it seems very simplified, with very little depth. I constantly feel like I am being talked down to. While there may be relevant and interesting points, the lack of depth stripes it of the fascination that some of the topics cited rightfully should have. I find I really have to focus my mind to slog through the many pages of which little of import or interest is said, but that which common-sense should already conclude.

There are some chapters that are also written with surprisingly little reference to studies. But as what looks like opinions, and with obvious cultural biases (I consider biases statements made with weak or nonexistent support).

There are frequent cajoles for the student to research further for more information. But I feel that in many cases, large parts of it could be written more succinctly, with slightly smaller font, and afford more information itself.

As an example of the degree of competence I would expect from a textbook on childcare/child development, I would recommend Peter Barnes' : Personal, Social and Emotional Development , part of which was also my required reading. I have to say, it is much much better written, clearly argued, and mindfully organized than Advanced Early Years - by several degrees. Seeing as Peter Barnes' book was written in 1995, I do wonder whether there is a sense that readers are less intelligent than they used to be.

All in all, I do not feel that Early Years adds much to the conversation.
on 22 April 2009
I have only just purchased this book a few months ago and have already found it so useful in my studies.I am now in my second year of my Foundation Degree and wish I had this book for the begginning it covers all the subjects of the criteria,explaining fully and helps with the assignments tremendously as it also has websites and other book lists to move on in your research. Most useful book I have purchased (and there has been many!)
on 10 January 2013
This book was perfect for what I was looking for when completing my HND and degree. It is perfect for that level. Book can be used in acknowledging theories, new theorist and practical support too. Used this book so much. Recommended to anyone completing higher level child courses. Fast deliver and fantastic condition. :-) 10/10
on 12 January 2014
This is the best book I have come across for the Early years Foundation Degree, I am now doing my BA and it is still perfect for that. I have used this book 1000 times and still find the information I want, every time. It is full of so much important and relevant information that is applicable to all modules on the course.
on 9 December 2009
This is fantastic and vital for my course! It's really got everything in it and has helped a lot! Condition is excellent and the book is just fantastic! Really good!