on 8 September 2004
Ok, this is my first time writing a review, so I hope it is helpful to anyone who considers buying this book, perhaps to make your own notes in (I used to buy my own books even though I was given school ones when I was in secondary school). I use this book at school, in Sixth Form. The Transition chapters are; Lebenslagen; Leute, Leute; Gluckssachen; Rund ums Wohnen; Freizeit. The AS chapters are; Reisen, Leute und Liebe; Essen und Gesundheit; Medien; Rechte; Arbeit; Literatur. The A2 chapters are; Umwelt; Soziale Themen; Zukunft; Ethik; Wir wollen doch anders sein!; Politik und Geschichte. The Transition section is quite good, and helps to you brush up what you;ve learnt at GCSE, with some simple topics, and Grammar notes learnt from GCSE are highlighted as "Grammatik zum Auffrischen", which is helpful in knowing what you are supposed to know. I personally find the listening exercises (available on a separate tape) a bit hard, some of the other people did in my class too, however maybe this is good for the practice. The book is generally good, and there is a big grammar section at the back. I would buy this book for classes, as opposed to learning German at home, as it is a it demanding, if you want to learn everyday German just to live and sleep, then go for a Berlitz or Hugo, however if you are in german classes, perahps this is good for the AS and A2 exams. 4 stars.
on 30 November 2000
This book is well laid out, with GCSE-A Level transistion work, followed by a section for both A/S and A level. The topics: Dream Holidays, Thoughts on the English!, Globetrotting etc. are all relevant to today. The material can be quite stretching at times and I feel more vocab notes could have been used. However, as someone not streched enough at GCSE, my AS course is looking promising thanks to Schauplatz!