Format: Hardcover|Change

on 7 May 2017
This book is great for people all age.It also brings new meanings to the word fairy.There is so much frill in it that when you finish this book you feel sad.But not to worry!There are lots more Artemis Fowl books to enjoy.Warning: this book is mega action packet!!I would reccomend this book to anyone above the age of 9 because of some challenging words.Even I loved it!
on 5 November 2003
If you already own a copy of Artemis Fowl don't be fooled into think this is a different book - its a reprint.
On the other hand if you don't own a copy its a must have. A clever story with enough twists to keep anyone entertained. Artemis uses his intelligence to outwit a legion of fairies but manages to capture something more precious than fairy gold in the end.
0Comment| 201 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 July 2003
This book is very similar in style to Harry Potter. It's pitched at a similar level, but this one's aimed more at kids than adults.
It is an amazingly quick read. The writing style is so smooth, and so digestible that I ended up reading it within a day. It is very imaginative, and invents its own folk lore, which is
amusing in itself.
All-in-all I give it four stars because, although it is excellent, it is far too short. This doesn't stop me wanting to
get the sequel though.
on 22 February 2013
Not my type of book at all and I did not enjoy it, I felt it to be muddled. I really don't know why I bothered. Back to the drawing board I would say
on 11 April 2017
this is a great book. As an experienced fantasy reader I read it and loved it. the plots intense and the whole series interlinkes. Best bit? LEPrecon.
on 18 June 2009
I picked up this one in a charity shop because Eoin Colfer (who I had always thought was called Coifer) has been announced as authoring the new H2G2 novel, 'And Another Thing...', and I was interested to see what he was like.

Overall, Colfer's writing ability does show through, but this particular novel did little to excite me. Yes, it is aimed a childrens' market, but so were Charlie Higsons' Young Bond books, and J K Rowling's Harry Potter series, both of which I found engaging and entertaining.

Artemis Fowl however seems to live in a rather two dimensional world. The fairy world isn't explained in enough detail for me, and doesn't seem very real. We're aligned with Fowl, his Butler, and two of the fairies for different parts of the narrative, and I felt that this took away some of the suspense and mystery that could have been generated by being aligned with one character.

In terms of the plot, it was fairly straight-forward, with nothing unexpected, and nothing very deep. So all in all, I think Colfer should be a good author to continue H2G2, as long as he knows that he's targeting an older audience. I don't think I'll be picking up any further books in this series though.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 August 2014
Not as good as all the hype around it
on 27 December 2003
This is not a new Artemis Fowl title but a new hardback edition by a different publisher - if you already have the first Artemis Fowl then this book is not for you
0Comment| 124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 May 2016
Epic book! a definitely for anyone! I would rate it ages 5-109. Lots of cliffhangers! I really enjoyed the layout! Really cool!
on 14 August 2001
Don't expect a simple kids books Eoin Colfer delivers something wickedly enjoyable for children and their parents. A great storyline pared down to the bone with no surplus fat (unlike 500 page Harry Potter books!), this is a great funny and pacy read, full of superb ideas and great set pieces, such as the descriptions of the fairies riding the hot magma currents to the surface. The detail is rich, the gadgets incredible and the action quite violent and gory in places. Defintely one for less sensitive kids!
The movie should be terrific - I can see Cameron Diaz as Captain Holly Short, the plucky heroine. The Troll should be awesome and scary on the big screen. This is such a good read and a real treat. Don't miss out,buy it!