on 1 June 2015
I’ve never read an SE Hinton book before; I’ll admit that until I read the introduction of The Outsiders that I didn’t even realise that Hinton was female. I assumed that a book about teenage boys and gang culture was written by a male writer. This was the first of many shocks; good shocks but ones that made me realise that I had a prejudice in me that I wasn’t aware of. Another surprise is that a book of such high acclaim could be written by someone so young. Hinton wrote her debut novel at the tender age of 17. Impressive – there is not much else to say on that matter

The Outsiders centres on two rival gangs the ‘Greasers’ and the ‘Socs.’ The ‘Greasers’ come from the wrong side of the tracks, have no money, work hard but for very little and they have little chance of bettering themselves. As opposed to the ‘Socs’ – the middle/upper class people of society who get away with whatever they do because they have the money to back them up.

Things get out of hand when greaser Johnny kills a Soc when trying to save his friend (and the protagonist of this story) Ponyboy. This causes an out and out war between both gangs and the results are fatal.

It would be fair to say that nearly 50 years on from its publication date that the slang in The Outsiders is dated but the intention and the thematic resonance of the book is still extremely powerful and relevant in modern society. There are still gang related crimes happening everyday; there are still young children playing at being grown-ups with no worry of the consequence. SE Hinton’s debut novel is still as potent and as readable today as it would have been when it was first released.

What I will say is that as a book reviewer it does take a lot to impress me and whilst I do really like a lot of the books that I read it does take something special to have be finish it in one sitting. That is exactly what happened with The Outsiders. This book is a classic for a reason.

The Outsiders by SE Hinton is available now.
on 3 March 2016
I first read this book as a teenager and couldnt quite believe it was written by someone only a few years older than me - how I envied her! This book is a masterpiece, and I have now given it to my 13 year old son to read. I love the different characters and the portrayal of their problems and how they each deal with them in their own way. I'd be really surprised to meet anyone who didnt like this book. Every home should have a copy.
on 15 December 2014
I read this as a young teen and it has stayed with me ever since. A truly amazing book of teens from the poor side of town and the rich, of hardships, growing up and teenage angst. Full of laughs, tears and tragedy and a lovely poem. I bought this for my 12yr old daughter to read and it has stood up to the test of time, she totally loves the story. Highly recommend this book.
on 5 October 2011
As a young boy of about 13/14 I read Susan Hinton's books and couldn't believe how they spoke to me. Later on when I found out the S E Hinton I idolised was a woman I couldn't conceive that a "girl" could write such an insightful male book. Fantastic. So I learnt that women not only were pleasing to look at (I was such a child!) they could emphasise with us boys. What a brilliant lesson on my road to becoming a well-rounded human. Her books have been used in schools all over the western world as great educational tools not just for their subject matter but for their literary standing too.
Back to the book. Anyone who is young enough to be going through teen years or who has those horrible creatures as offspring should be forced to read her books because they are a window into how teens think act and react based on their upbringing, social standing and peer groups. They have an insight into the human condition that is very sharp yet still keeps the reader enthralled about the characters and their circumstances. I'm not giving anything away about the plot nor the characters. Just jump in and read her works. All of them.
on 15 May 2015
First read this book in my high school English class when I was about fifteen and was blown away by it's honesty and insight. Seventeen years later, I still love it.

Been dyslexic, as a kid, made reading hard for me, but thanks to books like this, I never gave up on books and I'm so glad I didn't. I love to read and usually have 2-3 books on the go at the same time.

I'm a fan of the film too.
Would recommend both to everyone.

Happy reading!!
on 24 March 2014
...until my 13 year old son was studying this book in school. A very thought-provoking and touching story written in the first person by 'greaser' Pony about two factions of 1950's/60's society. Quite a short book, but brilliant for teenagers as written from a 14 year old's perspective. The author was only 16 when the book was written and comes from direct experience of some of the events in the book.
on 12 May 2014
When I was at school we strangely didn't read the book The Outsiders, but we watched the film so after many years I finally found the outsiders on the kindle and have just finished it. The book is beautifully written and you would never know a fifteen year old wrote it . I would encourage anyone who loves a good story to read this. It's a classic coming of age book which just about has everything in it. It will grab you from the start and take you on a rollercoaster ride. Stay golden.
on 12 April 2013
I've only ever seen the film once, and that was many years ago - so I was coming to The Outsiders virtually new. From the style of writing, dialogue and description, to the characters and social history - everything in this book 'pops' off the page in a very real way. I really felt for the naivety of some of the characters and reading from the point of view of a young man was a nice change to modern YA books, which seem to mainly be female MCs.

If you've never read it you're missing out
on 16 March 2017
Amazing book, absolutely love the story and the paper back is good quality
on 18 May 2016
Bought this book for my daughter who is reading it in her English lessons at school and she loves it. I remember reading it when I was in school in the 80's and loved it too.
Fast delivery & well packaged.