on 8 May 2015
I first read this as a small girl in the '50s and was enchanted. It came out of the school library and I couldn't bear to return it. Recently I remembered it for some reason, but only the title and how much I'd liked it, but absolutely nothing about the book. Googling it, I was delighted to find it's still on the go and re-reading was a delight. These children are totally believable and real and the illustrations are affectionate and witty. You have to make allowances for the social outlook and politics of the 1930s; it is, in fact, a slice of social history, and I hope to re-read it many more times. Recommended for children of all ages lol :D
on 27 April 2017
Easy reading and jolly good fun - even for an adult! Very light-hearted. A childhood read re-visited.
on 29 July 2017
This was a favourite story when I was a child. I read it to my daughter, and now she wanted a copy for her daughter. Needless to say, granddaughter is reading it and thoroughly enjoying it. Some stories are timeless - this is one of them.
on 12 April 2017
Enjoyed the adventures of different family members. My favourite is Kate who insisted on wearing her hat to the seaside.
on 29 May 2017
Excellent book for reading to your children. Really good stories about a family makes you laugh at times.
on 27 August 2013
I first read this as a child & loved it. The memory stayed with my throughout my adulthood & when I saw it was now available on kindle, despite not having children, I had to have it. I am so glad I did; it was as good as I remembered it. Plus, even though it is of an era long past (& I am not old enough to have experienced it either!), the story does not feel dated. In fact I would say it is a testament to such good writing that children today are enjoying the stories as much as we did when we were their age.
on 2 September 2010
I have always preferred to read about real people in real situations and The Family From One End Street was one of my favourite stories as a child. Even as a postwar baby myself, their life seemed hard to me but what I see now is a family of children who can find excitement and get pleasure from the simplest of things and who take life's knocks as they come along and then pick themselves up and get on with it.

I've never forgotten the chapter where Lily Rose ironed the green silk petticoat. The reaction of Mrs Ruggles' customer to the tiny shrunken garment was both funny and poignant. The loss of a petticoat - so amusing and unimportant to the customer - would have been a disaster in the Ruggles household.

For all these reasons and because I think she still values the simple things in life, I have bought this for my 10-year old granddaughter. I hope she enjoys it.
on 10 June 2014
At last an award winning book - The Family From One End Street won the Carnegie Medal as the best children's book of 1937 - that I actually enjoyed.

The story of a man, his wife and their seven children which I first read as a girl. Considered ground-breaking for its portrayal of 1930's working class life (father, Josiah 'Old Jo' Ruggles, is a dustman, his wife, Rosie, a stay-at-home-mother as we might call her today who takes in laundry) when first published in 1937 it strikes me that many of the issues featured are still relevant today.

Perfect bedtime reading given that though a novel it reads more like a series of short stories with each chapter being given over to a single event generally but not always starring one or other of the Ruggles children.

A wonderfully nostalgic read. The classic story of one big, happy family who despite their financial hardship are content. I remember the thing that really appealed to me as a young girl (as it still does) was that whilst I loved reading of the adventures of the country living, gingerbeer swigging, adventure having children of say Enid Blyton's books I actually recognised some of myself in the children of One End Street.

Copyright: Tracy Terry @ Pen and Paper
on 12 December 2011
There are probably many books that stay with people for a lifetime, and The Family From One End Street is one of them. I had'nt read this book since middle school. I remember a teacher reading it to us and being so entralled going home and pestering mum to buy my own copy. She did and I must have read it a hundred times. As time went on I lost my copy but when picking stories for my own children, this came to mind and so glad I've returned to it. It is a magicial book with a sense of social justice.... and its great seeing our 8 year old daughter enjoy it. I recommend this to children and adults alike. Ideal for christmas too.
on 7 September 2014
An excellent book with , a chapter on each child some of there stories are unbelievable. I would recommend this book