on 4 September 2011
My wife died on the 5th July 2011. At the crematorium, the celebrant's first reading was the passage where the Skin Horse explains to the Rabbit how toys become "real".

What would have been a painful occasion was lifted into happiness, as he went on to prove how Daphne had been "real", and through her love of family and children, especially handicapped children, she had made others around her "real". Both my daughter and I have bought the book - without prior discussion.

As one who has been made Real (at age 78, all my hair has been loved off, I have become shabby and my joints loose, but my eyes haven't dropped out - yet) I commend this book.

Read it when you are feeling low, and find a smile.
1212 Comments| 262 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 February 2017
Lovely copy of one of the best children's books ever. I bought this for my brother and his fiancee as a wedding present and they loved it. The picture is a slightly-glossy print on what looks like ordinary paper which is then stuck onto the book. The rest of the design is imprinted into the cover. The text is clear and pleasantly large but not massive, and the images are good quality copies of the original. They are, I think, two-tone - so not the full-colour effect of more modern books. However, this gives it a nice, old-fashioned feel with still a splash of colour.
on 6 October 2017
I bought a copy of this little Dover Activity Book of Velveteen Rabbit. It is such a cute and sweet story that children will adore. Without giving the story away, it has a great moral element to the book and easy for children to follow and understand. The pictures are bright and very clear to follow what the story is about. Sadly there are not many books written this way any longer. It is a timeless story with great values and a pleasant read for small children as well as adults too.
on 7 May 2017
We have aways had an edition of this book in every part of the family and I bought this for my new great niece. Its all about what makes things real which is of course, love
on 25 September 2017
A brilliant short story for anyone. Everyone ought to have read this story.
on 24 May 2017
Perfect start for this classic. For a very young child. As expected.
on 13 June 2017
my fave as a child now one of my grandaughters faves too
on 25 July 2017
Wonderful - everyone should read this
on 16 June 2017