Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 30 June 2017
After The House by The Lake I had to read this one. The writing is clear and matter of fact. The research is massive yet so very well told. I loved every line of it. Thomas Harding is a marvelous writer. And a wonderfully warm person. I just happened to visit The House by the Lake (prompted by his book) in Berlin when I was there, imagine my surprise when I arrived on the open day there. Hanns and Rudolf is a must read.
on 25 August 2017
This read has massive historical value. I believe all senior schools should have this on the curriculum. I have read many books about the holocaust from survivors. This is told from historic records. That a nation could be so very cruel and pretend they did not know mass murder was taking place or that they were just following orders from a higher command beggars belief. Six million people , innocent people, little children, it is heartbreakingly unbearable. No wonder Hanns held onto hatred all his life. There can be no forgiveness for the shame of the German holocaust. Thank you Thomas Harding for publishing this factual work.
on 22 March 2017
This book is good though I'm not actually sure it deserves a lot of the high praise the blurb gives it. It's an interesting story for sure, but I wasn't sure the back and forth between chapters between the main protagonists always helped develop the story itself. If pushed I would say that that sections on Rudolf were for me the most interesting and relevant, highlighting as they did the banality of evil.
on 14 September 2017
This subject should be taught to every schoolchild as it's too important to ever be forgotten.
It was sometimes difficult to read because of how horrific the suffering was , but at the same time I couldn't put it down.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the history of the war , the holocaust & the subsequent trials.
on 20 March 2017
Well crafted thriller. Informative but also gripping. A lesson in social responsibility very skilfully told in a potent mixture of suspense and detail. An excellent read on all levels.
on 28 July 2017
What an amazing story, highly recommended. A great story from start to finish. It explores a time that is highly secretive and private and let's us into a world that time wishes we didn't have to explore.
on 22 June 2017
positive
on 27 December 2014
An excellent narrative read. Well written and comparative personalities from two different and opposing view points of the second WW. How the yuoths were forced to develope their view points and operate with self survival sentiments.
on 19 June 2017
on 11 June 2017
Very well written factual book