on 29 September 2015
As an anxiety sufferer, I thought I'd give this book a go. It is a good mix of general facts about the disorder, as well as interesting insight into the authors particular experience of it. It was good to read because a) as I was reading it, I spoke to my husband about what I was reading and I think it helped him to understand it more; and b) I realised how mildly I suffer with anxiety compared to people written about in the book. Good for a sufferer, the general reader interested in understanding mental health issues, and particularly for the friends and relatives of people with anxiety issues, to help them understand their loved one better.
on 2 May 2015
A great book. I suffer from severe anxiety & depression & have for as long as I can remember.i also used to run home from school every day as soon as I got there. I have taken all off the drugs that Mr Stossel has & have lost count of all of the therapists I have seen. my social phobia is so bad that I have never had sex or a girlfriend,I am now 69 years old. There seems to be nothing that can be done. Mr Stossel & I seem very similar except he has a wife & children & I am on my own.........but it was interesting to read about someone so similar.
One person found this helpful
on 12 March 2014
A long book that covered every aspect of fear, anxiety, phobias and all else. The author was very honest about his own ongoing situation and he describes his own fears and phobias in great detail, including all the embarrassing incidents. (I do admire him for allowing himself to be exposed in this way.) The book made me search my own life. I came to realize that my own problems are almost insignificant compared to his. This is the best book I have read in a long time and was a great help to me. Well worth buying.
3 people found this helpful
on 28 August 2015
Brilliant insight into theories behind anxiety, is it genetic, what contribution does attachment theory have, history of medication. This is not a self help guide on how to manage anxiety but helps to put this debilitating condition into context and I found this very reasuring. Scott Stossel gives a courageous account of his lifelong battle with anxiety and at the same time inject some humour.
on 9 May 2018
Fabulously written with humour in spite of the serious nature of the subject.
The depth of research is phenomenal, well done Scott.
on 20 August 2017
Too long, muddled, not well thought through. Personal story gets lost in digression.
on 15 February 2018
Really good read
on 18 September 2015
A great book. Honest and revealing- and made me realise how minor my issues were compared to others. And how we appear to be in the mercy of very unhelpful brain pathways which corrode the joy in life.
on 16 February 2014
A brave look into the affects, causes and treatments for those suffering with life crippling anxiety. Excellently written. Well done Scott!
One person found this helpful
on 14 May 2014
I smiled through much of this enlightening book - because I recognise much of the anxiety described, and the tortuous journey that Scott has been on. This is an important piece of work. Which of us would have guessed we were in such illustrious company? And that there is such a positive side to our anxiety? Do