on 16 March 2016
This is one of those stories which you don't ever forget. The minute you invest in the story line and characters, you find yourself drawn into this scary and intelligent world. It lives up to the hype, and went above and beyond my expectations. I haven't seen the film because I am worried it will destroy my memories of the book, but I have heard that the film is an excellent representation. I enjoyed this so much that I immediately purchased the entire 'series'. It is dark and scary, yet we still find ourselves trying to understand Lecter and his 'ways'. A truly great writer.
on 9 July 2015
Excellent book, especially for anyone who is watching the Hannibal tv series. It really helps you understand the characters as they are portrayed in the series and gives a depth to Hannibal and Will especially which is completely engrossing. Having only ever seen the Anthony Hopkins version of Silence of the Lambs, I was surprised to discover so many new things... which I will not spoil for new readers. Definitely a good buy for fans of Hannibal.
on 17 February 2017
Easily the best book among all four and the most gripping of all, defiantly highly recommended for any Hannibal fans, Wont disappoint.
on 24 January 2015
The character of Hannibal Lecter has now become a legendary creation. Here we get the first glimpse of him, although he is not the main focus of the story.

The book was later adapted into Silence Of The Lambs. Although the plots are slightly different, some of the mechanisms within the plot are reminiscent and if you didn't know about the connection between the two you might think the author was just recycling ideas.
on 9 October 2016
Love this book, and decided to buy it after seeing the film. The book is well written and provides a better understanding of character, compared to that of the film.
on 4 February 2014
A fully realised work of imagination with well rounded characters, a colourful plot that keeps you galloping and a detached writing style that provokes absorption rather than repulsion. After 10 reads over 25 years, it's still the only book I've read more than once, Pride and Prejudice excepted. It's the novel against which all crime thrillers can be measured.
on 22 August 2016
What compliments can I give this book that haven't been said thousands of times all ready? Definitely one of the best books ever written. Sometimes I'll just pick it up and read over some of my favourite chapters again and it still gives me chills.
on 1 December 2012
I've been aiming to read this book for ages but never quite got round to it.
Harris is a master of the dysfunctional mind. His attention to detail in describing nuances of character is phenomenal. A tad (quite understandably) prone to acceptance of 'current' psychiatric theory but that almost adds to the charm of the writing.

The results of the traumatic-stress, which serve to help form the antagonist Hannibal Lecter are also present in The Eighth Circle of Hell
Quite brilliantly set-up for a sequel too, (which I have read.)
It, like the sequel, is a true classic.
on 23 May 2011
I had seen the trailers for the movie and thought oh no! and had always just ignored the book thinking it would be the same but my genre is murder/police/detective/serial killer type so i thought i give it a go, oh i am glad it did, its was really great much better than i had imagined and i have bought the follow up book to read as well, everyone knows the story and the other reviews tell more than enough so i will just say its great !
on 10 July 2013
Not often do sequels match that of the first novel, but The Slience of the Lambs is just pure genius, it ventures into characters more such as Jack Crawford, then Red Dragon. Again I read this in 2 days, it is just something you can not put down. Worth the sun burn. Arrived on time which was brilliant. Much better than the film, if you get Red Dragon you need to get this as well.