on 28 January 2013
I was one of those people who purely by accident tuned into the first episode of the radio version back in the late 70's. I bought the first three books but did not pick up on the later two parts of the five part trilogy. Until reading the first three I had been a fan of sci fi but found after reading Douglas Adams take on it I could no longer take it seriously ever again. I decided to reacquaint myself with the original three and the later ones when I saw there was a Kindle version available. I was not disappointed. It only gets 4 stars because I thought book 4 was a bit disjointed and seemed only to provide a link between books 3 and 5; maybe that was the intention. Book 5 is very clever and has a surprising end. I highly recommend this set at a ridiculously cheap price.
on 10 January 2017
I've read all these before, but wanted to get all the stories together for another round. This seems like one of the most comprehensive editions out there, and comes in a great hardback cover that looks great. The text size and print quality is great as well. Overall a book I'd keep for a long time, if it wasn't for the fact that I've already given it away when I showed it to a friend and it turned out he hadn't read the books! I have to get another copy for myself as well, and you should too!
on 22 April 2015
Hoopy frood dudes know where their towel is. Get in to the HHG universe at this great price. Douglas often surprises with his depth of wisdom as well as his easy touch at humour. HHG will make you laugh and think. Do not mistake HHG as 'sci-fi' or you will be bitterly disappointed. Think of it more as a wistful look at the Universe around us through the eyes of a witty, intelligent, tech-savvy Englishman. The earlier books have a lighter tone than the later ones.
on 18 January 2015
Have always loved these books, so couldn't resist downloading on my Kindle. Adam's humour is second to none and being sci-fi, he always manages to save his protagonist in unbelievable ways. Although set off Earth (mostly), the human situation is always beautifully observed eg: the plans for destroying the Earth being in the third draw down of a locked filing cabinet in a basement, is a wonderful parody on our own town planning. Just sit back and enjoy its absurdities.
on 12 June 2013
This book although obviously dated still comes across as a unique piece of work. Douglas Adams takes us on a fanciful journey through his make believe universe. His humour is very clever and he comes up with the most outlandish characters and creatures. The book is much deeper than just his eccentric sense of humour. It touches on philosophy and makes the reader ask questions such as what really is the meaning of life? Some science fiction fans have criticised the book for being too far-fetched. Really? To me all science fiction is too far-fetched. This book should not be judged on its science fiction element but on its thought provoking and humorous content.
on 29 November 2017
The story of an earthman whose house is demolished to make way for a hyperspace bypass.When the book has been read the next item to buy is the radio series the book is based on shortly followed by the dvd of the TV series.The book never loses its charm or humour no matter how often it is read.
on 29 July 2017
Arrived in good time shrink wrapped and new. Have only read HHGTG so excited to be able to read the 5 part trilogy. If you have never read this and love sci-fi and comedy this author blends them together with Ken Wood and gets a cake made if fish
on 28 December 2015
Excellent value for money.
Leather bound hard back copy with what I believe to be gold leaf on the edge of the pages.
All of the five part trilogy in one book, that even has a book mark connected to it for location of page/s.
The font is a medium size so it is easy on the eyes for reading.
Beats five separate paper backs by a long chalk.
on 14 August 2016
The first thing you need to know... DON'T PANIC!!! The hitchhikers guide to a galaxy is a masterpiece, a perfect mix of comedy and science fiction, that comes together to form this amazing Jewel of a book. The story of this book is both amazing and ridiculous, and there are times when you just wonder what Douglas Adams was doing when he was writing it. There is never a dull moment, and after finishing it, you will not believe you had waited this long to dive in to their wonderful Galaxy.
on 3 December 2017
I read the original trilogy when there were only four books. I bought the whole trilogy (now with extra fifth book) as I hadn't read 'Mostly Harmless'. They remain amazingly readable books. However, I thought Doug was just phoning it in for 'Mostly Harmless'. Hence 4 stars. However, if you were to stop at the end of 'So Long and Thanks for All the Fish', you will have a five star read, but at the four star price.