on 26 July 2016
Heard Julie Birchill on the radio the other day and bought this book - but it is only okay.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 July 2017
Funny & inspiring
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 April 2013
I bought this after I heard Julie Burchill being interviewed on Desert Island Discs and was not disappointed. Really great fun!!
on 4 September 2013
Couldn't resist this title and Julie Burchill although quite annoying does amuse with her uninhibited honesty and lack of shame. As she says herself she has psychopathic characteristics but does seem to have avoided going to jail!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 31 August 2004
I bought this because I have always been a fan of Julie Burchill's acerbic style and that implict tone of rude defiance towards society she has. She is not afraid to judge, yet refuses to be judged herself. "I Knew I Was Right" is the perfect title for her autobiography which is engrossing and unapologetic. She has drggaed herself up by the bootstraps away from a sentence of close-to-home, no-brain jobs in a suburb of Bristol- a path she could so easily have taken in order to fall in line with her peers. But she has never been one to fall in line with her peers and luckily for readers of newspaper columns who eschew right-wing diatribe or hagiographers, her prodigous talent brought her to NME and the rest is history. I loved this book- I laughed, I was shocked, I was jealous, and then I lent it to a friend and never got it back. As a slice of the Seventies and Eighties, it's authentic and real. As a tale of one who escaped parochial roots, it has something to say and to those people who are brave enough to admit they are talented and the whole world should know it, it should become a bit of a handbook. Julie Burchill- you make me sick.