on 24 January 2014
First book in this popular authors Animal Magnetism series that will feature the small town of Sunshine and the animal lovers who live there. This is a sweet romance that is perfect to while away a few hours with. An undemanding read that allows the reader to escape reality and drift into their happy place and perfect holiday reading.
Brady is a pilot who spent the early part of his life feeling unwanted and passed from one foster home to the next. He was one of the lucky ones though as he eventually found a home and family but he's still cautious and not looking for any commitments. Arriving back in Sunshine to catch up with his "adopted" brothers Adam and Dell his car is rear ended by Lilah who he's instantly attracted to.
Lilah has never really found what she's looking for and now is it possible what she's been searching for is a gorgeous man called Brady? Lilah has devoted herself to looking after animals but maybe this sexy man Brady can release the animal in her? Theirs is a slow ride into romance but it's nothing permanent is it? They have both agreed to just enjoy the moment so what's the problem? Brady has a job to go back to and Lilah has a life in Sunshine but sometimes it's hard to just let go.
I've only quite recently discovered this authors work and it's just pure escapism. I absolutely adore her humour that just shines through in everything she writes and this book is a perfect example of it. Characters that are warm and appealing with clumsy moments that just make the reader laugh out loud! This was quite a sensual read which wouldn't be too shocking to more puritanical readers although some might quite like a little bit more raunch!
Although I liked it for me personally I would have preferred a stronger storyline with a plot to challenge me . It's a good long read and will lead on perfectly to other books that will hopefully give Adam and Dell starring roles. My favourite character has to be the snarky Vets receptionist Jade and I really hope we get more about her .
A great start to a contemporary romance series and definitely worth a read .
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 June 2011
Lilah runs an animal shelter. She gets emotionally attached to each animal and is heartbroken when she has to give them up. Her neighbors are Dell and Adam (both men see Lilah as a sister and she sees them as brother's. Unusual when they are apparently both very attractive!). Dell is a Vet and Adam trains pets. When Dell and Adam were younger, they were in Foster Care with another boy Brady. They grew close but when their foster parent died, he left them money. Brady didn't want any of it and Dell and Adam used it to set up their practice. They have been trying to get Brady to come 'home' for years. Brady has been in the Army and Special Forces for many years. He is now a pilot for hire. He takes a month off to visit his brothers. They have a used helicopter they want him to repair and fly. They also want Brady to live there and work with them.
The story starts when Lilah, with a car full of animals and birds, rear ends Brady's car. They are instantly attracted to each other and when Brady tells her his name it rings a bell but she doesn't instantly connect him to Dell and Adam. Brady gives Lilah a lift home and they share a kiss. Later when she goes to Dell and Adam's she meets Brady again and then realises that he is their other 'brother'.

Not a lot happens in the story. Its a gentle romance. Lilah and Brady begin dating and Brady who doesn't like staying in one place too long starts to develop feelings for Lilah. Dell and Adam are wary of their romance as they worry that Brady will hurt Lilah. However, Lilah is very laid back about their romance and tells Brady she is fine with a 'fling' and knows he will leave in a month. Lilah doesn't like relying on people and when Brady starts trying to help her out more, she's not used to it. As Brady's feelings for Lilah increase, Lilah still gives the impression that its just a fling and she is happy for him to leave after a month. However, when he sees how upset she gets when her animals have to leave her, he wonders why she is so happy for him to leave..

I'm a big fan of Jill's books, but this one wasn't my favourite. The sex scenes are quite tame for a Jill Shalvis novel. It features a lot of animals and a dog that Brady gets close to (reminds me of Jennifer Crusie novels which always feature dogs!).

There are two more books in the series which will be Dell and Adam's stories.
on 27 June 2014
Animal Magnetism by Jill Shalvis was just an okay kind of read for me. Did I enjoy it? Yes. But did it grab me by the short and curlies and leave me seeking out moments of solitude just so I could delve back into this world whenever I put the book down? No, not really. But like I said, I did enjoy it. So, I guess, really, the book did its job.

The story focuses on the dual POV between Brady and Lilah. Both of them are likable. Both of them have nice enough personalities. Actually, I think that might be the point: they were both ‘nice’, and nice is such a nondescript way of stating an almost indifference when giving an opinion.

From the off, we see the attraction between these two, but for some reason, I didn’t quite ‘feel’ it. However, I stuck in there, because I was new to Ms Shalvis’ writing, and so wanted to see where she’d take me if given a chance. Hats off for not tossing this couple into bed too early on in a way that screamed of contriteness, even if we *could* already guess this was where the story would eventually end up. As a result of dragging it out a little, the situation that led to them getting some alone time felt natural, even if the manoeuvring of said initial scene seemed a little bit forced. Also, once the first deed was done, aside from plenty of narration from the duo telling us exactly what they felt when they saw the other—Brady more so than Lilah because Lilah just appeared to be permanently sex starved and horny—the chemistry between them seemed seriously toned down outside of the bed (or anywhere else they got hot and heavy). Which meant that almost every successive intimate scene between the duo also felt forced—until the final one. Because the final one was easily the most believable.

Okay, let’s focus somewhere other than the sex, then.

We have Brady, whose buddies (who just happen to also be Lilah’s buddies, but Lilah and Brady had never met due to Brady being away and serving his country) want him to stick around, and so buy a helicopter that needs fixing up because they know, with his background, he won’t be able to resist. This angle of the story, I really liked. It was a solid, believable angle, and Adam and Dell’s relationship with Brady, and their brotherly-ness, dragged me along with them until I, too, wanted Brady to stick around. Wanted him to create some roots, some connections worthwhile sticking around for. In fact, Dell and Adam may well have been my favourite characters of the book. Their loyalty to Brady, their protectiveness toward Lilah. They added a LOT to this story and created great flavour, with a decent job done of setting up the potential romance for book two.

And on the other side of the main coin, we have Lilah. In all honesty, her romance gone bad didn’t quite ring true for me, and certainly didn’t hold any uniqueness—to the point, I don’t believe it added an awful lot to the story. I also kept searching for a really solid reason for the watchfulness and caring attitudes of Dell and Adam, but didn’t really find one, especially as Lilah had no issues with ANY guys in her hometown and even her exes still treated the woman like she was a saint.

However, I’d imagine most readers of Ms Shelvis’s books are mostly interested in the romance, and she does deliver well enough on that angle, and there are some decent moments within the sex scenes that will keep readers returning for more, as well as the very sweet happy ending. Not to mention how refreshing it was for the man to show his eagerness for a relationship with far more vibrancy than the female. So, all in all, an enjoyable enough read, but I would have liked to see a little more substance to the plot.
I've been a huge fan of Jill Shalvis ever since I discovered her Lucky Harbor series so I was really excited when I found out that her Animal Magnetism series had been picked up by UK publisher Headline. I couldn't wait to start this series and I loved every minute of Animal Magnetism.

Lilah owns and runs the town kennel with her friend Cruz, she also runs an animal rescue charity on the side and is using what little spare time she has to study for her degree. To say she's a busy woman is an understatement but she is very independent and hates the thought of being in debt to anyone so refuses any offer of help. Brady is ex-military and now works as a pilot taking dangerous jobs around the world at a moments notice. He has never felt the need to settle down in one place and loves getting to travel for his job. He's visiting Sunshine to catch up with his two foster brothers Dell and Adam but he has no intention of staying for longer than the month he's promised them. Brady meets Lilah when she accidentally drives into the back of his truck when she's distracted by her animal passengers (2 puppies, a pot bellied pig and a duck!) and the attraction between them is instant.

Lilah hasn't been this drawn to someone for years but she really shouldn't be getting involved with someone who isn't going to stick around for long. Her close friendship with Dell and Adam means that she is constantly bumping into Brady though and he's a tough man to resist. She promises herself that they can have a fling and that she won't let her heart get involved - after all she knows up front that he's only going to be around for a few weeks - but it isn't going to be as easy as she thinks. Brady has never felt the desire to settle down but Lilah makes him feel things that leave him confused and make him long for a future he never thought he could have. He knows he shouldn't get involved with her when he has every intention of walking away, it's obvious that she gives her heart to everyone she meets and he worries about hurting her when he leaves but he just can't stay away from her. Will Brady realise that settling down isn't necessarily as scary as he always thought it would be or will he leave Lilah broken hearted when he walks away?

Jill Shalvis is one of my go to authors when I'm looking for a feel good romance and she never fails to deliver a story with great characters, a wonderful small town setting and plenty of laughs along the way. When a book has me laughing out loud within 20 pages I know I'm onto a winner and that's exactly what happened with Animal Attraction. I fell in love with both Lilah and Brady, they're such a cute couple and have fantastic chemistry, but it was their banter and the interactions between them and the various animals we meet that had me laughing all the way through the story. We are introduced to some fabulous side characters too and I can't wait for both Dell and Adam's stories. I have a feeling that this series is going to be another favourite and I'm sure it'll be one I'll be rereading in the future.
on 16 January 2017
Nice story with lots of cute animals as well. I liked Lilah, she was really strong and independent, but able to open up emotionally as well. The story was well paced and with lots of interesting characters to keep me going back. Looking forward to reading more of these.
on 21 March 2014
Read from library. Just loved this book. Written 2011. Romance with laughter, a few tears. A really uplifting funny witty romance
on 13 January 2013
I love Jill Shalvis and i loved this book, engaging characters and cute animals. I couldnt put it down. Amazing
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 27 February 2014
Lilah keeps animals and runs a refuge in the small town of Sunshine. Into her busy and impecunious life comes Brady, a man wounded by his past who works as a pilot for hire and who has been persuaded to visit by his foster brothers who want him to stay. Both Lilah and Brady have good reasons not to want a permanent relationship but their attraction begins to break down the barriers.

This is a typical small town romance with many of the usual elements and is obviously the first in a series. The author, however, has created an engaging set of characters and centring them on the animal work in the town she has provided herself with the opportunity to add lots of amusing and cute incidents to the story.

I like this type of romance and enjoy the work of Robyn Carr, Sherryl Woods, Susuan Wiggs and others. This novel is among the best of these - it is engaging and fun with two interesting characters who develop believably during the course of the story. I enjoyed it a lot and will look for the sequels - I thank the publishers who provided me with a free copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
on 12 October 2011
I loved this story of Brady and Lilah. The characters were well developed and had real depth and the love scenes were hot and emotional. A keeper for me.
on 7 December 2014
New series for me - love it as much as the Lucky Harbor series.