on 20 June 2012
i read a preview of this book and it seemed good so i bought it and once i picked it up it was hard to put down.whoever likes historical romances would like this book.
on 8 August 2014
My favourite period in history and it was brought to life very well in this book. A very enjoyable read giving an in depth look at what Nell Gwynne's life was probably like.
on 19 January 2013
A Superb read. A young child trying to make a better life for herself, used by men, until she becomes wiser and returns the favours to which she becomes self sufficient.
on 17 December 2013
A good plot very well presented, in places very amusing. This really is my type of book and will defiantly
be on the lookout for more of the same from this author.
on 12 January 2011
When I first saw mention of the upcoming release of The Darling Strumpet , a novel on Nell Gwynn, I knew immediately I had to read it. You see, she's my favorite royal mistress and I try to read everything I can on her. Being a debut novel I wasn't sure what to expect, but I need not have worried because author Gillian Bagwell blew me away!!

The Darling Strumpet recounts Nell's impressive rise from the streets of London to the most coveted position in the land, that of mistress to King Charles II, the Merry Monarch and tells it in such an entertaining way that the reader is kept in absolute rapture from start to finish! Nell's spirit was captured perfectly by Bagwell and this book just reminded me why I adore Nell so much. Her tenacity, keen wit and charm, big heart and refusal to make amends or feel ashamed of her role as royal mistress make her so likable, you can easily see why she was a favorite of Charles II.

Being that the novel is just as juicy as the orange on the cover and with knowing that there are many YA readers that visit this blog, I feel I would be remiss in not disclaiming that there are some pretty racy scenes. They didn't bother me so much and I didn't feel they overwhelmed the story but they are pretty detailed, so I just thought I would mention it.

I enthusiastically recommend The Darling Strumpet and if her debut novel is any indication of the fabulousness we can look forward to in future books by Gillian Bagwell then consider me hooked!!
on 26 December 2014
Loved this book although the slang terms used seemed a bit misplaced for the time depicted. Good way to learn about and appreciate the past.
on 5 April 2015
I loved this book. It was one of the best books I have ever read. I couldn't put it down. I didn't want it to end. Highly recommend it.
on 7 February 2016
I I've anything to do with history and the people involved in the stories. This is a great read and I thoroughly enjoyed every page.
on 19 January 2013
Enjoyed te red. Thought there was a little to much poetic licence in places but it has given me an interest into the period and the charicters of the time. I have spent a lot of time resurchin them today
on 19 September 2015
Book was a very good read, throughly enjoyed it all the way through. Would recommend this book to read to anyone.