January of 1933 finds Lady Georgiana (Georgie for short) wishing she could travel to the French Riviera like so many of her class are doing. That longing only intensifies when the rest of her family manages to find a way to go and plans to ship her back to Scotland so they can close up the London house.

Then the Queen comes through, asking Georgie to head to Nice and find a snuffbox that was stolen from Buckingham Palace. Her Majesty even thinks she knows who stole the box. Delighted with what seems like a simple task, Georgie sets out. But she quickly gets involved with a fashion show, stolen jewelry, and murder. Is she in over her head?

For the second book in a row, Georgie has traveled outside of London. While I don't mind the journey abroad, they do mean some very slow starts. It's not that I mind the time spent with Georgie, in fact most of the characters in this series are fun (I'm not a fan of Georgie's maid, but she's a minor complaint), but it would be nice if the plot started off quicker. Not helping matters is one completely predictable sub-plot.

Once it does get going, it is quite fun with some great twists along the way. The ending took me by surprise and left me turning pages quickly to find out how Georgie was going to get out of that scrape.

While this series has always been light fun with some interesting history thrown in, I do wish the plots got going a little sooner. Even so, I will be waiting for Georgie's next outing.
on 3 September 2013
The Queen asks Georgiana to go to the french riviera and find the snuf box which has been robbed by a nasty "arriviste".
I read all the serie and enjoy very much Lady Georgian Binky the Duke and her love Darcy. This book is the only I can't say I enjoyed.
We need to read a hundred pages before there is any plot.
It is very nice to be at Nice in Villa with parties, Champagne dancing with princes, Dukes, french Marquess and others famous people.
The characters are empty.The maid Queenie,is so stupid that she isn't even funny.
And where is Darcy? he only comes for 10 minutes in this book.
The plot is not a good one it seems that the autor needed a scapegoat at the last minute which make the end very poor and unbelievable.
no it is a pity I usually am very fond of the serie but this one is a disaster.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 4 February 2014
This is another in the delightful series featuring Lady Georgiana Rannoch, thirty-fourth in line to the British throne, as she seeks to find a balance between her life as a young lady of the Royal line (and therefore unable to work for a living) and her complete lack of funds to keep her in the style to which she’d like to become accustomed. Set in 1933, Her Majesty the Queen has decided to keep Georgiana occupied by sending her to Nice to recover an item that was taken from her. As always in Georgiana’s life, nothing seems to go quite as smoothly as she could have wished for.

Another wonderful romp, this time around the French Riviera, as Georgiana finds old friends and new among the mysteries in Nice. These books are all well written, and have wit and humour amongst the main mystery story. They are highly readable, and thoroughly enjoyable. Great stuff.
66 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 February 2013
I have read all the series so far and really enjoyed them! It is very "jolly hockey sticks", but that's part of the charm! Very good stories and I always miss the books when I have finished reading them. I pass them on to my mother and daughters so we all get to enjoy them and get very good value for my money! I can't wait for the next one now.
on 8 January 2013
1930's, related to royalty, female investigator. No psychopaths or pools of gore. A jolly romp. I think it is written more for the American market as royal protocols familiar to Brits are explained as if we were thick. It is a delightful series and I recommend anything by this author. I love them.
on 11 March 2012
This time, Lady Georgiana's travels take her abroad to Nice - as seen in those gorgeous 1920's travel posters! She has the usual mix of fun and danger and is at risk of being swept of her feet!
A thoroughly enjoyable and genuinely puzzled-till-the-last-minute read. Looking forward to the next one.
on 15 September 2011
Another great royal spyness book, thefts, murders and sunshine. The story was good and kept me hooked, the identity of the murderer was a nice twist I only realised who it was when Georgie did. I would have liked to have seen more of the dishy Darcy, and the funny Blinky and Fig, but definately a good read.
on 2 May 2012
a great read ,delightful heroine set in the polite world of the 1930,s full of quaint british humour a real breath of fresh air and great addition to the series look forward to the next instalment
on 2 September 2014
I do enjoy a nice light read and this one ticks all the boxes. Not much to challenge one intellectually but good fun.
on 5 July 2014
Love this series of books light and funny, waiting for the next one ( out in August)