Customer reviews

on 23 September 2012
I have read a *lot* of murder mysteries and as a first novel was prepared to give this a bit of leeway, but honestly.. it was just confused nonsense. As a themed "cosy" I had expected a lot more about plants and gardening but it only seemed to be an excuse to find the body in an azalea bush.
So many inconsistencies and just downright illogical turns.. why when she was in and out of the greenhouses all day did she have to mount an after dark "break in" to see them? How could the police have got away with her brother-in-law being thrown into jail on no evidence whatsoever, and then her friend too? And her friend being kidnapped, what was that all about..? It just seemed to lurch from her accusing one suspect to the next when it was obvious who it was from the start!
And then after all the interminable detail of the narrative the ending is just an offhand "Looks like we reopen the case..good job,the killer almost got away with it" that was so exasperating I felt I had to write this!
There may be some people who like it anyway but I won't be reading any more in the series I'm afraid.
on 18 June 2012
I loved this book -- the cast of characters were all interesting and varied, and I liked that Cam was intelligent and interesting. The wonderfully lush setting in Roanoke really come alive, too. I'm not a big mystery reader, but this one has whet my appetite for more.