Customer reviews

on 28 February 2014
Written in the easy going style of Brother Athelstone and Hugh Corbett series, the Templar Knight books are superb. Have now read the last in the series and at a loose end.
on 2 March 2013
I've been buying these and reading them in chronological order... The lead character is very good and the stories well plotted.
on 23 April 2015
Good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 February 2014
Fans of quality historical mysteries will be delighted to read Maureen Ash. A deft re-creation of a time, with characters you'll want to meet again.
on 21 April 2013
I have enjoyed reading this as much as the first in the series. More so really as I bought the kindle version and could increase the font size ! look forward to the next.
on 20 May 2017
Nice easy read
on 14 December 2016
A pleasure to read this book
on 30 October 2013
I enjoyed the drama and the factual atmosphere reflecting the period of history. I would recommend it to anyone interested in mediaeval history.
on 21 February 2013
Not quite as good, slower pace than previous books in series that I had read. Liked tha detail of Lincoln life at the time
on 4 January 2010
First Sentence: The stone quarry lay still and silent under the maelstrom of wind and raging clouds scudding in the skies above.

A body of a clerk for the local mint is found having been dumped in a mine. The only clue is a pristine coin from the reign of King Stephen. Castellan Nicolla de la Haye and her husband Sheriff Gerard Camville have asked templar Bascot de Marins, who has had prior success in uncovering murderers, solve this crime.

I do enjoy this series. Ash creates a very strong sense of time and place. With each book, I learn a bit more history both of England and the Templars. It is that level of detail I appreciate and find fascinating.

Ash's characters are very strong and I appreciate the back-story she provides on them. Marins seemed less conflicted in this book and it also made me wonder whether this is the end of the series, which I would find sad.

Although the story lacked suspense, it was very well plotted. I appreciate when I never quite know where it is going next. There was an excellent, unforeseen twist at the end I particularly enjoyed.

The books may not have the complexity or depth of Susanna Gregory, but for those who enjoy mysteries set in the Middle Ages, this was a better-than-good book in a very good series.

MURDER FOR CHRIST'S MASS (Hist. Mys- Bascot de Marins-England-Middle Ages/1201/02) - G+
Ash, Maureen - 4th in series