Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 23 October 2008
Servant: The Awakening is a story about a young woman/girl Gabrielle Cody otherwise known as Gabby. Gabby is a 21 years old who lives a lonely existence. She has a surly and unapproachable attitude and actively pushes people away from her with good reason. Gabby is the Hand of God. She can sense evil and sees it in its true and hideous form. When this happens she has a compultion to destroy the evil doer, usually when they are in the act of hurting someone. This for Gabby is a heavey burden and yet she is drawn to the old Hospital where she feels evil is being done. By who or what is for Gabby to track down and destroy.

Detective Luther Cross is attracted to Gabby. He tries to form a relationship with Gabby, even though, he is suspicious about her proximity to a murder victim. Morty is Gabby's landlord who is only trying to befriend Gabby. I have to hand it to Morty for tenacity he just keeps on trying.

I really like this book and highly recommend it to people who are interested in urban fantasy. A good addition to the genre even though there are no vampires, werewolves or witches.
Serveant: The Awakening arrived by post yesterday and I read it in a couple of hours. I couldn't put it down. I've been a fan of Lori Foster's writing for around three years and I love her romances. Now she's writing on the 'dark side' and I defy anyone to find fault. I was glued to the excerpts on her website and I couldn't tear myself away from the book. If you like kick ass heroines, then you'll love the book. Unlike Anita Blake, Gaby Cody is not the type of heroine who'll end up sleeping with the enemy. She doesn't get confused by who the bad guys are.
on 7 March 2008
A heroine with attitude, a cool cop and a good friend. It all starts here for Gaby Cody - strong and fast as can be with a mission in life. Like the previous reviewer, I will really got obsorbed into the book.

Cant wait for the next installment!
on 27 November 2008
I really, really enjoyed this book. I generally do like Lori's stuff but her last couple of romances didn't measure up to the likes of Say No to Joe and that whole series but this... I like. Looking forward to the second but will be disappointed if Gaby and the cop don't make it to the bedroom in this one. Would recommend to others.
on 30 October 2009
This book was recommended to me by a Facebook friend and so I went and bought it. After I've read it, I told my Facebook friend that I would not read any of his recommendations ever again. He then told me that LL Foster is his sister!! Of course I backpedalled furiously! I told Artie that the story telling quality was superb. Which it was! I must have said something sufficiently pacifying because he is still talking to me. If you plan on getting me a Christmas gift, buy me a duct tape for my mouth please. The reason I gave this book a one out of five is that this book has a cliffhanger ending. I don't like cliffhanger endings! This was the first and the last LL Foster aka Lori Foster book I've read and avoided LFoster since then.