Customer reviews

Megan's Mark (Berkley Sensation)
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 30 November 2006
Megan's Mark was a great book. I really enjoyed the sexual tension between the two leads. If you are more of a romantic, then this book might be too hard for you. This is my first Lora Leigh book and I did not see the anal sex coming at all. It did put me off a little as the author includes a bit domination/submission. Well, the upshot was that both leads got off on it big time and so no rape or other no-nos that would make me hesitate to buy more offerings from this author.

The animalistic side of the story is no different to vampires or dark-hunters, etc. where the heroes have something more to offer than an ordinary man. The hero was ultra alpha and sounded pretty irresistible to me. Megan was one of typical scared/repressed women who in the presence of the right man was a force to be reckoned with. I kind of wish these authors would give us a strong woman already happy with herself and then let her fall in love.

No need to explain the story as previous reviewers have done that already, but just to say that the felines sound like an interesting bunch, and, providing no more little shocks, I will probably buy another book to see how they get on.
on 7 January 2006
Cursed with the extraordinary power to feel other peoples' emotions, Megan Fields has tucked herself away in a remote corner of New Mexico, working as a small-town sheriff's deputy. She finds solace in the silence and heat of the desert. But when Breeds begin dying on her watch, Megan realizes that the secrets from her past can't stay buried forever. Someone is out for blood - her blood.

An arrogant Feline Breed, Braden Arness broods with feral intensity. His mission to solve the mysterious murders brings him to Megan, a woman who accosts his senses like no other. Only with him can she let down her guard - and surrender to the insatiable hunger that wracks her body. But as they team up to hunt the elusive killers, Braden and Megan find themselves becoming the prey...
on 12 February 2007
I love Lora Leigh! However I do need to be in the mood for her particular brand of writing. Her sex scenes are hot and passionate, and her men are Alpha all the way. However you don't get a lot of gentleness from her leading men. I have found as time goes on her books get better and better though. Her first books for Ellora's Cave about the wolf breeds were a lot harsher, so I think she is moving towards sofening parts in her own way. That said it doesn't matter, when you want hot sex scenes you have to pick up her books. I would suggest those people looking for a romantic story leave these well alone, but for those of you who like Angela Knight or Jaid Black, this lady is for you!!
on 5 November 2007
Megan Fields is a woman with the extrodinary power of being able to feel people emotions, however to her this is much more like a curse. That is until she meets Braden,a man around whom she feels calm and protected as well as extremely flustered.

This book was the best winter warmer to snuggle up in bed with on those cold winter nights. If you want a bit of naughty fantasy then Lora Leigh is your best bet she provides the best male lead but also a great female lead who is just as head strong and feisty as the men. Loved every page. Looking for the next one already
on 24 October 2007
Fantastic book. Good story, steamy scenes, good charaters - everything a girl could want in a book. This is the first book i have read from this author and have become addicted to her books - though they are not for the faint-hearted!
on 13 August 2012
Oddly enough I agree with all the other reviews here, including the critical comments. Lora Leigh is a pretty hardcore erotic writer and you need to like your writing explicit to like her books (although maybe the success of Fifty Shades means more of us are open to that (pun intended) than previously thought). However, even if erotic is not your thing, don't let that put you off. Lora would be a rattling good writer in any genre. She does characters very well, her plots are decent and her romantic suspense structure works very well. This is a very good book. The later ones in the Breed series are even better as she got deeper into the Breed concept and fleshed out (my God these puns are writing themselves!) their world, but don't rush, please read them in order as there is a continuing plot and enjoy! Hugely enjoyable writing. There is a reason why I have a whole bookshelf (actual and virtual) of her books. Highly recommended.
on 17 November 2006
This was my first book by this author and I bought it because it was highly recommended. Gotta say I really would like to kick some butt for that one because I am now faced with the dilemma of buying or not buying the rest of the books in this series. I love the plot, the characters, almost everything about this book. What I didn't like was the really explicit and dominant sex scenes and the language used, a bit to explicit for me (which is why it only gets 4 stars). If I'd known what was in the book I would never have bought it.

Now thanks to Amazon recommendations I am faced with a dilemma do I buy or do I not buy? Can I read anymore of these books without cringing? Can I skip the sex scenes altogether and bypass the odd graphic word and still enjoy the book? Probably because I did with this but my real problem is do I want to buy a lot of books that I can not totally immerse myself in and am not comfortable reading?

If like me you like your books a bit less steamy you may face the same problems. It could be a total waste of money or one of the best buys you ever made. As for me, well I probably will buy them all because this book was that good, I just need a bit more time to acclimatise to this type of book.
on 17 July 2008
I have read a few vampire/were wolf romances and this one is definitely up there with some of the good ones. The characters were hot, but not as hot as some of the sex scenes (certainly NOT for the faint hearted!!). One thing I really enjoyed about this book, was the fact that the 'Breeds' don't change into some hairy, larger than life animal that we're all supposed to love just as much as the man. They possess some of the qualities ie, strength, speed etc, but don't actually transform into an animal. I will be buying the other books asap!
on 4 June 2013
I really enjoyed this book. In fact I enjoyed this book so much I ordered the rest of the series!! The heroine is fun and the hero is the right side of playful. Steamy in places, it's a good read and an excellent way to spend a rainy afternoon.
on 7 October 2007
Strange:

This paranormal romance is so obviously based on the administrative practises (and malpractises) of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. So why on earth keep using the `Breed' word throughout the novel? This word has surely got to be as highly emotive to Native Americans as the n-word is to African Americans. During the first half of the story there are many things the human heroine says to the hero that could be interpreted as offensive casual racism and very hurtful.

The world building itself isn't particularly robust. I had to read and re-read the first couple of chapters to get any idea of what was going on. I still don't know if The Council is a government organisation or just a bunch of renegade scientists. I didn't like the fact that some of the non-humans (Coyotes) were obviously being harshly `questioned' by the good guys. If they had experienced the same up-bringing as the hero then they deserved better. Give them their freedom far away from whips and pain and they would soon co-operate.

Also the `shields' business didn't make sense. Because of a lack of them, the empathic heroine, Megan has to live away from people so that she isn't overwhelmed by their emotions. Then the hero, Braden gives her his shields to use. How come he has shields if he is not an empath? And suddenly in the canyon towards the end of the book Megan is lowering her own shields in order to find out who murdered Mark and Aimee. So she does have shields after all! All very confusing.

Emotional.

The hero and all his kind are not born but created in labs from a mixture of human and animal DNA. They are treated abominably by the people who created them; tortured mentally and physically for years on end. Yet the hero is not twisted or bitter. (Though he is understandably a little vengeful) He is not afraid to love and is generally highly respectful to the heroine.

He gives one of the best `please love me' speeches I have ever read in a paranormal to the heroine;

"Feel it, Megan. Feel what I know. My soul would die without yours to fill it. Without you to hold me close in the darkness of the night; without your laughter to bring the light into the darkness that has filled every day of my life for as long as I have drawn breath. For the first time in my life I am alive. I live because of you and the thought of going back to the desolation of being alone scares me to death." And it is to the heroine's credit that she does actually hold out for a bit longer."

Also increasingly as the novel progressed, I began to feel the tragedy of the dead couple, Mark and Aimee. That did surprise me.

Rude, rude, rude.

Both the hero and heroine talk and think dirty with a capital D for large parts of the novel. Until eventually they consummate their emotions...repeatedly. The c-word is not used. What is used over and over again is the p-word, the cl-word and the f-word. And the words juices, creamed and suck. All to excellent erotic effects. Even the passage where the hero offers the heroine a contraceptive pill I considered very erotic. I feel obliged to add that the hero really does have something special in his pants.

But none of the good things about this novel can disguise the fact that at the end of the day it is utter sheer bad taste trash.

My mummy would totally whup my butt if I recommended this book.