Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Christmas with Elvis Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

The Dead
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 18 November 2014
The Dead has a lot of action. Most of the book is descriptions of crazy stuff happening to people and honestly that part is well written, but the rest of the book? Not a big fan.

Firstly, the whole thing is basically just about a ragtag group of people talking about religion. I was hoping that there'd be some important profound point about belief by the end of it. There isn't. In fact, the end is pretty much the most simple and unprofound thing that could have happened.

The characters themselves are very shallow. Max and Gary, the main characters, are interesting enough... But almost everyone else, save Uncle Dennis, has absolutely nothing to contribute except as the victim of an action scene. So combining the one-dimensional characters and a bunch of "goooo Catholics!" bulls***, there's not much I can really recommend except the action.

To top it all off, Rogers has the cheek to make snide remarks about one Stephen King... Who seems to do everything Rogers is attempting in The Dead but actually succeeds in pulling it off.
on 5 January 2013
I downloaded this as a free book after receiving my kindle fire as a Christmas gift. I didn't expect it to be so good! This is over and above what you would expect from the usual zombie novel. There are some editing issues here and there but it's definitely worth a read.
on 2 May 2008
Wow, I think that this was a rare find. I was expecting a salacious gore fest with a basic plot. Hell no, I don't even think this was primarily designed to be a zombie book.

I think that for such an alternative culture subject the huge Question of Christianity - namely Catholiscism, and it's place in peoples beliefs, or lack of, today is a brave swing to take indeed.

This book pokes holes in peoples perception of what they think will happen to them after they die. It also confronts the fear of losing a family member only to have them return as a mindless creatu butre hell bent on inflicting horrific pain upon it's children.

I can't really explain it all without givnig the whole thing away. This is very good, there are a few bits that made me cringe, not the gore just a couple of bad name drops.

The ending is a bit hard to deal with, I hope he comes out with a follow up to tidy the ending. It could all be a clever metaphore for faith being blind and just having to accept that things are this way. That or he got bored of writing or was running tight on a deadline.

Anyway, if you read all that your probly interested in this book so have a go it's good fun. :)
on 10 March 2015
The book started well and had me gripped, then it got real scarey, but then it started to become a little far fetched and unbelievable for me.. shame. I did finish it and did enjoy it but the last third of the book tapered off and I lost interest. Saying that, at one point it really did scare me and I'm not easily scared. I actually had chills running down my spine! Such a shame that the last part of the book lost me.
on 5 November 2014
This book had a beginning that got me hooked immediately! Great storyline and fantastic writing. I could hardly put the book down and even stayed up late to finish it! Will definitely be recommending it and would love to see this made into a film...hint hint.
on 8 August 2015
Could potentially be very good as its a good story, but difficult to read. Sometimes details are missed out and the leap is difficult to follow. The ending is also quite sudden and poor
on 28 August 2005
this is by far the most amazing book i have ever read and has become my fav.
its a twist on the zombie tradition its about the end of the world, old time religion, its a amazing.
i recommend this you will not be dissapointed, a group of people been hunted down by a deamon, people vanishing in2 thin air and 2 priest's argueing on the take of the situation, guns, blood chills and spills!!!