Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Playlist - Acoustic Christmas Shop now Shop now

Although now in my late twenties, I am still fascinated by Tintin, his friends and his adventures. I do not claim to be a Tintinologist. As a child I used to read the full size editions, however, I prefer this smaller format, as it is compact and there is no loss of detail in the text or illustration. It is also more robust in hardback: how quickly did the paperback get dog-eared when read by an excited child?
Interestingly, there is no contents page. You must therefore "thumb" to find the story you require. I know that is a rather pedantic issue, but there is completeness to consider. This compilation is my favourite of the series, as it contains both "Destination Moon" and "Explorers on the Moon".
"Destination" begins with a plot which kept me in suspense about the nature of the mission for 8 pages! From then onward, I was intrigued by the technology Herge uses in the story.
The illustrations in "Explorers" are amazing. Herge has combined true representations of the moon with his imagination for what was, at the time, a place not fully understood.
"Land of Black Gold", relies slightly on "Cigars of the Pharaoh" and "The Black Island", for references to characters/events. This does slightly spoil continuity to someone unfamiliar to Tintin.
on 16 September 2017
The compact size is both the strength and the weakness of this edition - obviously you get three excellent Tintin stories in one handily-sized volume, but some of the frames are quite hard to see and you ca lose some of Herge's detailing. Personally I would go for a bigger size (but then wouldn't we all given the choice?)
on 2 December 2017
Bought to replace the series that my sister borrowed some 40 - 50 years ago as I like to have a set.
on 30 March 2017
Who doesn't love Tintin?!
on 24 April 2010
I've had this collection of Tintin books for some years and it's the best way to get hold of what is not doubt Tintin's most extraordinary adventure.
"Land of Black Gold" is the first of the books and a separate adventure to the other two. That is a good enough book by itself, although the laughs rather take over the more exciting parts of the story. Thomson and Thompson ultimately steal the show, from bungling some undercover work as mechanics, through knocking down the wall of a mosque, to getting a rather strange hairstyle from swallowing some unusual tablets.
This story is entirely overshadowed by the other two books though; the pairing of "Destination Moon" and "Explorers on the Moon". Tintin, Snowy and Captain Haddock travel to every corner of the globe in the books, but now an adventure that blows exploring the earth out of the water.
THEY FLY INTO SPACE.
The book contains some excellent real science, such as the physics of weightlessness, escape velocities, the possibility of water on the moon and the as-yet unrealised technology of nuclear rocket motors. This of course weaves into the usual blend of mirth and excitement. Be prepared to laugh at the Captain's test of a spacesuit, Professor Calculus blowing a fuse and some anti-gravity antics on board the rocket. Be prepared to be thrilled by an attempted sabotage of the mission and a race to return to Earth before the rocket's oxygen supplies are depleted.
It's the gang's most daring and breath-taking adventure of all. Well done, M. Remi.
on 7 November 2009
This book is really good quality - well made. I was impressed when I opened the packaging. The only problem I would say - is that the print is very small and quite hard to read. Not recommened for people with bad vision.
on 15 November 2009
What can I say, just love the Tin Tin books. Really like these volumes. Die hard fans would probably prefer to have each book individually but I don't mind. Would def recommend!!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 July 2009
Bought for a gift. It's a simple payoff - smaller pictures, but more stories. The more compact size might make it better for carrying around.
on 13 November 2012
I love tintin, and I wanted to own all of the books, so that I could be sure whichever one I wanted to read would be at my fingertips. This collection (along with all the other collections; I bought all of them) was great value and takes up very little space on my bookshelf. A great way to have all the Herge stories in a nice neat package!
on 19 February 2010
I have always loved reading the Adventures of Tintin! Now I have bought the whole series for my sons and cannot wait for them to fall in love with the stories, too! Great collection and well worth buying if you love an intelligent comic with great adventures that will stimulate the imagination and excite children of all ages!