Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Tokio Myers Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

on 17 May 2017
I used this book for my Events Management course at university. It provided me with the relevant information to pass my course with the needed grades. All the information and literature I needed to find was in this book. I have now progressed onto an Event Management role now and it still comes in handy for every day life situations.

100% satisfied!
on 10 May 2017
Old book but has been used to look into IP and the copyright that is used. The more up to date version is more expensive but covers the same information.
on 24 December 2012
This book was purchased specifically due to the praise, but I have been left disappointed- so much so that I've now sold it on.

I primarily purchased it to study defamation, privacy and confidentiality, but after reading the relevant chapters I had to give up.

The key issue for me is that a good student law textbook is comprehensive on both teaching the law and engaging in an academic discussion. Both of these are needed so you have a full understanding and so you can tackle any question on the subject, whether a problem or essay.

However, this book is overwhelmingly concerned with discussion, and comparative to other books, very scant on the strict law. For example, a tort textbook I have (which I don't regard highly) dedicates 6 pages solely on the `injury to reputation' aspect of defamation. This book barely has 1 page. This continues when I compare other key areas.

It also categorises information in odd ways therefore you can't dip in and out of the book to read/revise a particular point, which is key for a student. E.g. the burden of proof is tucked away in the `History' section. Similarly, the brief injury to reputation discussion is also in `History'.

Why? They of course have a history, but using that notion so does everything. The tort book has a burden of proof and injury headings in the context of following a claim from start to end, so you can find them immediately. And relevant history is dealt with in those same headings. I despair at what the reviewers must have been reading to consider this "accessible". Unless you think to look in `History' for the current law (instead of the more appropriate `General framework for defamation' section, which is where I was looking) then you'll quickly become confused.

These categorising problems continue throughout the other sections of the book I read, as does another gripe which is the long-winded case details with little discussion of the actual decision. I found in the Privacy and Confidentiality chapter, particularly its discussion on Art.8 balanced with Art.10, a long description of the facts of various cases, only to then have a sentence at the end saying- the court held Art X was/was not infringed.

You would have thought a detailed explanation on why the court balanced the Articles the way it did was a given, but not so. Maybe the author wants readers to read the cases themselves. But in that case why give such a long description of the facts (sometimes 10-15 lines)?

As with defamation, I had to use another book which critically discusses the same cases and more to understand the application of the law- a necessity for me should I find a problem question waiting for me in my exam.

I don't know whether this trend continues in every chapter as I simply wasn't getting enough out of the book to continue reading.

It isn't a bad book as such- there is insightful and useful discussion if that's mainly you're looking for. But a comprehensive and accessible student textbook from which to learn the law it certainly is not.
on 21 March 2015
A clearly written book which even I could understand. It is full of interest delving into past events and many other aspects of the title of the book. It mentions Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, phone tapping, photography and etc. being full of interesting facts for the layman as well as the student.
on 9 November 2015
Excellent
on 20 May 2011
I have a vested interest in this in that I was interviewed by Ursula for this book - however, all my legal colleagues where I work have been very excited by the book and are delighted to have a new book on this area at last (one comment being - "it's been at least 8 years since the last book like this!") I'm already having to keep a tight rein on it in the office. A considerable achievement -well done Urusla.