Customer reviews

on 15 November 2014
This course has exceeded my expectations. I designed my own 3 month intensive "self-taught" Persian course and this has been one of the resources I selected. Initially, I have relied on the CDs (copied to an iPod) to become familiar with the sounds of the language, vocabulary, sentence structure etc. A great advantage (of the CDs) is that the English is repeated after the Persian words. This means that I can take the iPod with me on a walk and don't need the textbook. The textbook contains a transliteration of all the Persian text. It also distinguishes between literary and colloquial forms of the language. I can thoroughly recommend it.
on 5 November 2015
Very good and accurate work, though you need a basical knowledge of formal Persian before you start. Grammar notes go straight to the essential needs and enable you to build sentences on you own. A companion you must not miss.
on 13 October 2017
One of the better persian courses available. To benefit you would be advised to use the book with the audio CD also available.
on 22 April 2013
**Slightly confusingly, the CD and the book are sold separately, so please not that this is the CD only!**

In tandem with the book, this is the perfect starter-for-10 with regards to colloquial Persian. It explains the basic grammar, as well as descriptions of the differences between formal and colloquial persian, and when both are used together, this is the 5* package deal.
HOWEVER.
The CD is not intended as a standalone audio guide, and out of context the soundtracks are fairly useless. As you have to use the book at the same time, it is only useful as a companian at home, this is NOT an "on-the-go" learning tool. Which is unfortunate, as i travel on the tube in London where there is scarcely enough room to breath during rush hour, let alone read a book!

I would recommend this to At Home learners, where the book can be used as a guide. It is clear, the accents are good, it is easy to understand and the audio is of high enough quality to distinguish the foreign sounds from each other. I would equally recommend thinking about how you would use this tool, as I don't believe it is ideal for the learner-on-the-go.
on 9 May 2012
As a native English speaker learning Persian for the last three years, I can say this is by far the best guide to learning Persian. I have been able to complete almost half the book using the audio CD, and I am extremely please for the value and quality of the context.

A few distinctions I like about this book which are not included in others include: a blend of colloquial with literary Persian; a great progression of content from basic to intermediate; all content is something used in our daily lives and conversations; and finally this book covers a lot of material.

Overall, I could not recommend this book more.
on 1 February 2011
I've only completed the first 5 units, so perhaps it's a bit early to write a complete review of this textbook, but as there are no other reviews I thought I'd try and give some sort of consumerist opinion.

Firstly, it's surprising how simple and straightforward Persian is; grammatically, it's far, far easier to deal with than Arabic (I've been studying Modern Standard Arabic full-time for almost 2 years now) or Russian (I got a top grade at Russian A-level).

Before the actual units begin, there is a section dedicated to learning the Perso-Arabic script, which looks like it would work effectively for the student, although I didn't pay much attention to it as I'm already familiar with the Arabic alphabet (the Perso-Arabic script is identical to the Arabic one, except there are 4 additional letters in Persian).

Each unit is short. There are two very accessible dialogues in each unit, and an additional comprehension exercise, with corresponding exhaustive vocabulary lists. If you buy the CDs (which I highly recommend), these 3 main bodies of text are accompanied with the recordings. The recordings are clear, and there are additional exercises to help consolidate your speaking and listening skills.

Grammar is introduced incrementally, and is presented in a lucid, logical way, with exercises to secure grammatical understanding and fluidity.

So far so good. The course contains a vocabulary of around 2000 words, so by the end of it, I imagine one will have a sturdy grounding in Persian. I'll update my review as I progress.
on 30 May 2011
I have already studied for a year with the first edition of this book and found it really accessable and comprehensive. The updated versian has several more chapters, more information on the grammar and now has translations of all the dialogues. The audio CD is greatly enlarged too. I have looked at most of the Persian language books and courses available, and this one is the best.
on 7 November 2013
This is a very clear and comprehensive introduction to Farsi. The teaching method and sections have been thought through in a very logical manner, with useful tips and pertinent explanations throughout. Overall a great, steady support for whoever wants to learn this beautiful language. Highly recommended.
on 8 April 2016
Very well written and concepts clearly explained. Although I had spent a lot of time, prior to getting this book, learning Persian and can read the script very easily, I still found the transliteration useful as the script does not have diacritical marks. Learnt very useful things, such as differences between formal and colloquial. The only thing I wish for is more grammar in detail with the Persian terminology as well.
on 5 November 2015
Intelligible dialogues allow you to follow the book, you have to purchase it to integrate the course in the book