Customer reviews

on 23 August 2013
There is not much graded reading material available for students of Dutch who are taking classes, and almost none at all for those pursuing a self-study programme. The Routledge "Intermediate Dutch Reader" helps fill the gap with an interesting collection of material drawn from current sources (newspapers, magazines, specialist journals, the Internet) all of it combined with challenging exercises. The quality of design and the very thoughtfulness that went into the development of this reader are evident at the very outset. This text represents a very serious attempt at helping students improve their reading skills.

Note carefully, however, that this reader is NOT FOR BEGINNERS! The authors advise that the required starting level is roughly equivalent to Upper Intermediate level (B2), while later texts progress to the Advanced Level (C1). Since I am currently only at the Beginning Intermediate Level (B1) myself, and I am pursuing a self-study programme, I can readily attest to the "challenge" I have ahead of me!

In addition to this excellent resource, I would recommend the following:
(1)Reading Dutch, Fifteen Annotated Stories From the Low Countries, by William Z. Shetter and R. Byron Bird (perhaps now out of print, but still available used).
(2) Dutch For Reading Knowledge, by C.van Ballen, F.Blom, I.Hollander. The level progresses very rapidly from about A2 through C1 plus.
(3)The website "LibriVox" for FREELY AVAILABLE texts along with mp3 files. Virtually all of the texts are "classics" and are written for native speakers, or C1 plus.
(4)The website "Books Should Be Free" for FREELY AVAILABLE texts along with mp3 files. Virtually all of the texts are "classics" and are written for native speakers, or C1 plus.
on 30 December 2013
Good book ... I have not particularly enjoyed the content of some of the articles but I think it gives good practise into the langauge.
The articles are not basic Dutch so a bit of work was required on my part to understand everything.